Drum overheads: Gefell, Sony

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

standup
re-cappin' neve

Drum overheads: Gefell, Sony

Post by standup » Thu May 31, 2018 5:30 am

I have a little basement studio that is currently disassembled as we wait (and wait and wait) for contractors to do some work that will keep the walls from collapsing. What audio work I do right now is with a crappy Tascam 2-channel interface, a mic or two and a laptop.

Before the disassembly, I had settled on a Sony c38b and Warm WA14 as my overheads of choice, sounded decent. But in the last month or two I picked up a Gefell UM70S. So far, it sounds good on vocals and acoustic guitar, but I've never heard it over the drum kit.

If you've heard both, which would you lean toward for OH?

For me the Sony was a real eye opener, detail and clarity for days, and really nice non-crunchy cymbals. I'm doing roots rock, low volume-ish stuff, not punk/thrash/metal.

Any thoughts appreciated. Next time I have $1000 or so saved up I might try to get a second mic to have matching overheads.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Re: Drum overheads: Gefell, Sony

Post by joninc » Thu May 31, 2018 12:29 pm

kinda depends how you use the overheads in the mix... are they a big part of what makes your drum sound or used as "cymbal" mics...

I recently got a UM70s as well and have been using it on everything I can (vocals, acoustic, gtr amp, bass amp, overheads, piano) to see where it shines and one thing I notice is that it is somewhat "lean" in the lower mids/bass unless it is right up against the source so as an overhead it will give you lots of presence and detail but not as much body - which may be fine if you favour close mics for that anyway.

I know a lot of guys love them as drum room mics as well.

my 414 Buls mics aren't as bright and may seem "fuller" by comparison but have a little low mid honk that I luke to duck out.

not sure how the sony compares as I don't have one.

So it will probably have a lot to do with the context of the music you record and how bright/crisp vs chunky/thick you want your drums to sound.
the new rules : there are no rules

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Thu May 31, 2018 7:06 pm

I’ve read that “lean bass” thing about the UM70, and right now I’m using it close in my untreated living room. Sounds decent.

The C38b is even across the spectrum, I think, not massive on the low end for sure, but not lean. I’d have to listen back to things I tracked a couple months ago.

So maybe the Sony’s are the better overhead choice. I’m working in a fairly crappy room, and close-mic’ing is always a good idea. A couple years ago I got an AEA r92, designed for close mic’ing. So. Maybe when I have the money, another c38 for OH duty, and use the UM70 as a close vocal/guitar/whatever mic. The WA14 will hopefully be a useful all-rounder if I move it off the drum kit.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:17 pm

I'm from the school of:

Overheads are the main source for the drumkit, and all other microphones are supplements to make the overhead(s) sound more detailed in the mix.

Of course, it depends on the music style and what you are trying to go for. From your description, I would stick with the Sony C38b. This way you get the full picture of the drumkit. then, add other mics to get any part of the drumkit which is not present enough in the overheads to your liking.

Usually, you'll end up micing the kick, but who knows? Do what sounds good to you for your music.

Two mics on the drumkit: One overhead, omni, and a kick mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTCY7hA ... YL-JKQOquR
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:33 pm

Zombie thread alert!

I have been using a pair of Sony c38b’s for overheads for a couple of years, and they sound great.

But this week I ordered a pair of Mojave MA-100’s tube SDC’s from reverb, and I want to A/B them with the Sony’s and see what sounds good. If the Sony’s sound better then I have mics for acoustic guitar etc. if the Mojave’s sound better I have a pair of C38b’s for whatever.

So I don’t really have a question. But I’m getting more cool mics and can’t wait to see where they work best.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:15 pm

But did you get the basement walls fixed?

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:38 pm

Yeah, danger of collapse is over, according to the engineer who designed the fix

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:34 am

8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:00 am

the Mojave SDCs are really great. I have one of the 101-fet's. Also no longer in production. but they only stopped making them because they just didn't sell enough of them compared to their LDCs. If you don't prefer them on the overheads, they do make great acoustic guitar mics. also good on ride, hihat, percussion, etc.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:48 am

I'll be interested to know what you think of the Mojave mics.

vernier
pushin' record

Post by vernier » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:08 pm

Been meaning to try different things but D 19 does it for me .,,so far.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:11 pm

standup wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:33 pm
Zombie thread alert!

I have been using a pair of Sony c38b’s for overheads for a couple of years, and they sound great.

But this week I ordered a pair of Mojave MA-100’s tube SDC’s from reverb, and I want to A/B them with the Sony’s and see what sounds good. If the Sony’s sound better then I have mics for acoustic guitar etc. if the Mojave’s sound better I have a pair of C38b’s for whatever.

So I don’t really have a question. But I’m getting more cool mics and can’t wait to see where they work best.
Well... which ones did you like "bettah?"
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:41 pm

My wife's the drummer of the house, so it will be this weekend before I can get her to do some tracks.

I did track some acoustic guitar and backing vocals with it. My playing on the acoustic bit was a bit hamfisted, I want to try something more delicate and see how it sounds. It sounds good on acoustic, but my playing is a distraction.

I also did some backing vocals with it, and it doesn't sound as nice as the Barbaric Amplification tube mic I use most often for vocals at the moment. But hey, maybe there's a reason people use large diaphragm condensers on vocals...

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:30 am

maybe try the Omni capsule at a distance of 1-2 feet for a bg/harmony vocal and see how that works for a different texture? MA100/101 would not be my first choice for a lead vocal but it has plenty of other uses.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:08 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:00 am
the Mojave SDCs are really great. I have one of the 101-fet's. Also no longer in production. but they only stopped making them because they just didn't sell enough of them compared to their LDCs. If you don't prefer them on the overheads, they do make great acoustic guitar mics. also good on ride, hihat, percussion, etc.
I've heard some folks say the 101 is the biz on snare drum too. I keep my eye out for them now and then.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com