I-net collabs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

I-net collabs

Post by vvv » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:43 pm

Is anybody else doing internet collaborations here?

For example, I have projects where the guitarist is in CA, and/or the drummer in Canada. I do a lot of stuff with a multi-instrumentalist in London.

I used to do a lot with a drummer in WA (you 'round, mang?).

My local project only meets 1-2x a month. I record 3-4, even 5 times a week.

It's a fucking life-style. :oops:

Anybody else doing this regularly?

I use dropbox in the USA, pCloud Transfer in Yurrup.

Yooze?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: I-net collabs

Post by kslight » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:25 pm

My drummer and singer are about 200 miles away from me. We don’t play shows, we all have pro tools, and have used various different file transfer services...up to even having my own FTP site at one point.

Works well enough. I usually go up there when recording drums. Sometimes write together also. I’ve been doing it this way for a long time, so I’m pretty comfortable with it. When I was scoring his movie we would bounce ideas while he was in LA shooting it.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:12 pm

all i have is a 4 track reel so unless someone is interested in mailing 1/4" tape, i'm on my own recording and playing all the instruments myself :cry:

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:00 am

I've done it a few times. One project I had a few years back started out as a long distance collaboration. The other person was about 4 hours north of me. I would send him tape loop sound colages, he'd sketch out a song over top and send it back, then I'd add another layer and so on and so on. After a year of passing the songs back and forth we had some really great demos. For the final record we kept all the good bits from the demos mostly the tape loops and some of the stranger/unrepeatable guitar parts, and we replaced everything else with real players in a real studio.

It's tons of fun to send something off and see what comes back. With this project it was always a surprise.

https://xnightterrorsx.bandcamp.com/track/phantom-song

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:58 am

Cool, good to know I'm not alone.

markjazzbassist: a cheap computer (good-enuff XP Pro systems are on E-Bog for under US$200, just stay off internet), Reaper (US$60), an M-Track interface (US$100 new). Or, get a small SDHC digital recorder (for the XLR and 1/4" ins, usable converters) to transfer your tracks or even submixes - to digital and to bring digital in to your 4-track (Zoom R-8 is US$300, Tascam DP-008EX is US$200 - new) ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:24 am

vvv wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:58 am
Cool, good to know I'm not alone.

markjazzbassist: a cheap computer (good-enuff XP Pro systems are on E-Bog for under US$200, just stay off internet), Reaper (US$60), an M-Track interface (US$100 new). Or, get a small SDHC digital recorder (for the XLR and 1/4" ins, usable converters) to transfer your tracks or even submixes - to digital and to bring digital in to your 4-track (Zoom R-8 is US$300, Tascam DP-008EX is US$200 - new) ...
yeah i used to have an mbox and pro tools, i just don't like the workflow, tape is a lot easier for me.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:15 pm

That's cool.

But of course, I just meant to be offering a option re collabin', and a way to get yer stuffs to others and receive theirs.

By the same token, I really like the sound of the R16 for what it is, but what it is for me is a tape macheen for live jams, or to get drum performances. The work flow is otherwise much too awkward compared to my computer.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:17 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:00 am
I've done it a few times. One project I had a few years back started out as a long distance collaboration. The other person was about 4 hours north of me. I would send him tape loop sound colages, he'd sketch out a song over top and send it back, then I'd add another layer and so on and so on. After a year of passing the songs back and forth we had some really great demos. For the final record we kept all the good bits from the demos mostly the tape loops and some of the stranger/unrepeatable guitar parts, and we replaced everything else with real players in a real studio.

It's tons of fun to send something off and see what comes back. With this project it was always a surprise.

This is super cool, David!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:03 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:17 pm
A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:00 am

This is super cool, David!
Much appreciated! It was one of my most favourite projects of the last few years. We did a few shows which were super crazy and fun. I ended up loading all the tape loops and sound fx stuff into a sampler and playing them in real time with the band.
We started a second record but have stalled mid way through. I really need to give Matt a gentle push to get going on it again.