Older Mac Pro vs. Modern Computer and External Temperatures

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Older Mac Pro vs. Modern Computer and External Temperatures

Post by kslight » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:23 am

I've got a 12 core (3.33ghz) version of the classic tower Mac Pro in my studio. It replaced a quad core model a couple years ago and it is fast...but in my new home studio (fancy term for spare bedroom) it is hot as well. I turn it on and within an hour or two the room is cooking. Part of the problem is the room is pretty small, roughly 150 sq feet. Another problem is my central A/C is on the opposite side of the house, and this bedroom is directly above the garage, so its not getting cooled very efficiently anyway. I also have a couple of older 19" LCD monitors, I'm sure those probably make more heat than a modern monitor. I recently got a window AC unit for my bedroom to more practically spot cool the master bedroom when the rest of the house is being used...I thought about also installing a window AC unit in my studio but I'm having second thoughts. The unit I purchased is one of the quietest available for the efficiency rating and cost...at 50db on the lowest setting (the absolute quietest I could find was 43db)...I think this will not be a good solution for the studio. I don't record acoustic instruments in it, but I do need to mix.

As the room is pretty small and crowded already, I don't think one of those cabinets people put their computer in will be practical either.

So thus I see two potential options.

1. Put Mac Pro in adjoining bedroom and run long cables. This is fairly practical because the bedroom next to it is not occupied.

2. Replace Mac Pro with something modern that maybe generates less heat?

With regard to option 2, has anyone made a direct temperature comparison going from a system like this to a modern computer? To be clear, I would not be purchasing another Mac, but would want to be sure I do not lose a great deal of performance in the process. Would a decent (though probably not Xeon-based) modern studio computer still make the room pretty toasty? :alien:

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Older Mac Pro vs. Modern Computer and External Temperatures

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:20 am

Run a KVM switch with long cables.

They all kinds of formats, get the one that fits your Mac video, kb and mouse ports.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:24 am

getting the computer out of the room is always the best option. I wish i could do that in my current space!
the new rules : there are no rules

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:39 am

do you have AC? if not, maybe a window unit?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:43 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:39 am
do you have AC? if not, maybe a window unit?
I do have central AC. But due to location of the room (far side of house, above garage) it does not keep up with what the computer spews out. 90+ degree summer days the AC is barely efficient enough to keep up with the house as is. The rest of the house is generally fine, and this room is okay...but when I turn the computer on afternoon an hour or two the room is 10-15 degrees warmer than the rest of the house.

I initially thought window unit but after installing a “quiet” window unit in my master bedroom to run at nighttime (no kids in the house so whole house cooling not really necessary at night) I still think it would be too loud at 50db on the lowest setting.
Last edited by kslight on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:46 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:20 am
Run a KVM switch with long cables.

They all kinds of formats, get the one that fits your Mac video, kb and mouse ports.
Thanks I’ll look at these.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:48 am

Option 3: How effective is a vent on the bedroom door? I’ve seen some retrofits at the hardware store..never seen one installed though.

Because I have cats having the bedroom door always open is generally not practical, but I imagine that would help me significantly....the computer is located near the door.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:04 pm

A vent would likely make a better AC return path. Enough to offset those 10-15 degrees? I dunno.
Village Idiot.