8:30 AM Red Light ON

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

8:30 AM Red Light ON

Post by drumsound » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:39 am

Its 6:30 in the morning and I'm awake, because I have a remote session that starts recording at 8:30. It a once a year thing, thank Geebus.

The gig its self is pretty cool, a composition camp for high school kids, held at the university for which I teach Intro to Recording Techniques. They've each written a 3 minute piece for piano, cello and flute. There a quick run through with questions and comments form the professional players then the final run through and its on to the next student and their piece. I record the entire time, and the students get recordings of not only their piece, but the discussions as well.

This is the second year I'm doing this. I only agreed to the second year if I could do digital distribution, because last year they still had me sending out CDs to each student. That was quite a PITA. I'll set up a Bandcamp page which will allow students and parents to purchase all of the pieces if they choose. Only 2 did last year, but I hope with a downloadable version more will this time around.

So, what's your earliest session?

losthighway
resurrected

Re: 8:30 AM Red Light ON

Post by losthighway » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:28 pm

Good on you, man. Sounds like a fun project, but tons of editing.

Since I try to maximize family time and keep my studio schedule in harmony with things I often start sessions at 9am and wrap them by 430pm. Not very rock and roll but the non-party animal clients usually show up on time and get lots of good work done. The only catch with the short days is we tend to work through lunch so I've learned to keep a couple oranges, or some mixed nuts around so I don't become a monster in the second hour of guitar fixes.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:52 pm

My earliest session was over Zephyr phone connection box.

Burbank >>> Nigeria.

It had to be done because of schedule conflict.

3:45 am PST for me.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:31 pm

^ That's one where you have to ask yourself, "Is this early, or late?".

I suppose the answer is a matter of sleeping strategy.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:13 pm

losthighway wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:31 pm
^ That's one where you have to ask yourself, "Is this early, or late?".

I suppose the answer is a matter of sleeping strategy.
Or lack of sleeping strategery. Or something...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:17 am

losthighway wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:28 pm

Since I try to maximize family time and keep my studio schedule in harmony with things I often start sessions at 9am and wrap them by 430pm. Not very rock and roll but the non-party animal clients usually show up on time and get lots of good work done. The only catch with the short days is we tend to work through lunch so I've learned to keep a couple oranges, or some mixed nuts around so I don't become a monster in the second hour of guitar fixes.
I’m keeping much the same hours here. Thankfully most of my work lately has been mixing and composing. My composing partner and I are both on school drop off and pick up duties with our respective kids so our writing recording sessions are between 9 and 3.

My earliest call times are usually when I do one of my regular gigs at a studio in Northern Ontario. I have to leave at 5:30 or 6am to make a noon call.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:02 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:17 am

I’m keeping much the same hours here. Thankfully most of my work lately has been mixing and composing. My composing partner and I are both on school drop off and pick up duties with our respective kids so our writing recording sessions are between 9 and 3.
I dreaded the idea that the schedule compromises of having a family would damage the musical part of life, but oddly they've kind of enhanced it. Short and focused time that the clients don't abuse. Shutting down before burnout. Spending time with the family. And then everyone in my family goes to bed so early that if I want to go out there and fine tune the space, work on songwriting, bounce new mixes for someone, work some more on my own vocal tracks (an endless pursuit), or have rehearsal I can have some 'me time'.

I suppose this is also thanks to having my studio on my own property.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:42 am

Mitch Dane in Nashville also does banker's hours. He promised his wife that he'd always be home for dinner with the family and he adheres to that. I once asked him about it,and he said its part of early conversations with artists so they no going in.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:44 am

losthighway wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:28 pm
Most of the editing and select and separate, tedious but simple.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:15 pm

drumsound wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:39 am
Its 6:30 in the morning and I'm awake, because I have a remote session that starts recording at 8:30. It a once a year thing, thank Geebus.
I was up at 7:30 that same day for an 8:45 gig - recording kid bands at a Girls Rock camp!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:40 pm

Magnetic Services wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:15 pm
drumsound wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:39 am
I was up at 7:30 that same day for an 8:45 gig - recording kid bands at a Girls Rock camp!
NIIIIIICE!