Yahoo auctions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

floid
buyin' a studio

Yahoo auctions

Post by floid » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:50 am

Anyone stateside do any buying on Yahoo auctions? My GAS has become a little esoteric and I'm trying to figure out how to use some of the proxy sites but having no luck. I register, try to place a bid, and it gets kicked.
Village Idiot.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re: Yahoo auctions

Post by markjazzbassist » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:57 am

i have never heard of it before. i use primarily Reverb, eBay, Craigslist, GuitarCenter.com, and Musicgoround. musicgoround has a nice search function and charges market or below market, i've found some great stuff on there for cheap. guitarcenter is hit and miss with their used gear, found some steals and also seen some highway robbery prices on there. Reverb and ebay are what they are, you just have to set up favorites searches adn they email you when thye become available and you gotta pounce right away.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:34 am

Also never heard of it....
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:50 am

Me neither. How esoteric is esoteric?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:16 pm

"Yahoo! Auctions is a service set up by the online search giant Yahoo! in 1998 to compete against eBay.[2]

There are currently only three localizations of the service active in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan; Yahoo! has already discontinued the service in United States, Canada, Singapore, United Kingdom and Ireland."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Auctions
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:42 pm

Huh. What v^3 said tho. I keep an eye on most of the sites markjazzbassist mentions, but nothing has turned up for a while now. I'm a longtime Guyatone junky (the brand and my immersion in making music are inextricably linked), and this reverb deluxe clone I recently acquired has got me jonesing. The problem is that many of their better offerings stayed in Japan or at best made it to Australia. So the stuff that shows up on the usual suspect sites is either way over-priced, in poor condition, or both. Meanwhile there are some very attractive pieces on Yahoo (even accounting for the shipping hit), but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to overcome the language and proxy site barriers.
Village Idiot.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:56 am

Oh yes. I love the guyatone stuff. Those guitars are crazy but I've only seen a few in person and they're usually in bad shape and very expensive (as you said). No idea how to get around your issues though. I have a hard enough time dealing with international eBay deals.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:24 am

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:56 am
Oh yes. I love the guyatone stuff. Those guitars are crazy but I've only seen a few in person and they're usually in bad shape and very expensive (as you said). No idea how to get around your issues though. I have a hard enough time dealing with international eBay deals.
i wish we could work out a better shipping system between the us and canada. for instance, i'm 4 hours from you, but it's cheaper to ship something to hawaii than just down the street to you. this infuriates me as the canadian market is so close but once i factor in shipping the deals are dead in the water. im looking to buy a couple things from canadian sellers now and if i do i'll just drive there and honestly probably save money on the shipping.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:19 am

Unfortunately the political climate where you are is pushing that the other way. I wouldn't be surprised if shipping and duties go up as this trade war business unfolds.
What can you do?