Using my Analog Pres with my Computer

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JasonSwanson
audio school

Using my Analog Pres with my Computer

Post by JasonSwanson » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:02 am

Hello.

I'm looking for some suggestions and/or advice regarding using my analog pres with my digital setup.

I've been recording analog for a long time, never did anything digitally until I started working with a band from a different state. They send me the tracks and I do overdubs and mix in Reaper. To do so, I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. It's been working just fine for a few years but for the album I'm working on now, I need to record more than eight channels simultaneously.

Is there a simple way to use the really nice analog outboard pres that I currently own? I've been searching around and every interface that I find seems to have preamps. Would I just need some sort of converter?

Thanks for any help you can give.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Using my Analog Pres with my Computer

Post by drumsound » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:23 am

Looking at the Focusrite site, there is an Optical input. I think you'd need another 8 channel onverter with optical out to add more inputs to your unit. You could then plug the line outs from your outboard pres to that add on and have if go oprical out to the Focusrite's optical in.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:38 am

I’d also add the depending on what you want to spend there are lots of 8 channel, line only, adat interfaces out there on the used market that can be had fairly cheaply.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:48 am

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... ett-18i20-

important info here

nota bene: to use all 8 digital ins you need to be recording at 44 or 48

you can prob turn those mic ins all the way down and use them as line ins without much trouble though it might require line to mic level transformers if it's still too hot

i find the use of external pres most valuable for the way the interact with the mic and the tone they impart - that sound still exists down the line when i either stack preamps with a transformer for effect or simply pass the signal through line amps or a mixer

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:36 pm

another option is to go with a standalone recorder like an HD24 (they can be had cheaply now) - the HD24XR has even better converters - and then use the optical outs to go into your DAW via something like an RME HDSP card or other adat interface.

gives you 24 channels to play with...
the new rules : there are no rules

JasonSwanson
audio school

Post by JasonSwanson » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks everyone.

Hey joninc, I actually have an HD24XR that I don't use. Would I be able to use the optical out from it to go into the optical in on my Focusrite?

Excuse my ignorance, I've been happily recording to tape for the last few decades...

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:06 pm

I think you should be able to get 8 more inputs at 44 or 48k via the adat in on your scarlett - not sure if it will allow the higher sample rates (usually that require 2 channels of the optical to equal 1 at 88 or 98k - meaning you may get 4 channels at a higher res).

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:36 am

I'm Painting Again wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:48 am
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... ett-18i20-

important info here

nota bene: to use all 8 digital ins you need to be recording at 44 or 48

you can prob turn those mic ins all the way down and use them as line ins without much trouble though it might require line to mic level transformers if it's still too hot

i find the use of external pres most valuable for the way the interact with the mic and the tone they impart - that sound still exists down the line when i either stack preamps with a transformer for effect or simply pass the signal through line amps or a mixer
I think the OP wants to add 8 inputs, using the interface pres AND his analog outboard pres.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:19 pm

right. the adat input gives another 8 channels - provided he's recorded at 44 or 48k.

the external pres are routed to the HD24XR inputs (1-8) and then out the adat out (1) to the scarlett adat input.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:09 pm

Or you just say “fuck it” and record everything to the HD24 and then dump to the computer (or not).