Filevault2 on later-era macs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Filevault2 on later-era macs

Post by alexdingley » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:19 pm

Hey all... had a close call with my macbook pro (2013 retina 15") and I thought I was gonna have to wipe / re-install the OS. Thankfully, I think I've averted disaster, for now, but it got me thinking — does anyone use FileVault on their system drive (for their recording machines) with any recent macs? Early versions of Apple's built-in encryption were all software based, and they slowed down the computer's read/write performance terribly... but on any Core i-series (anything after the Core2Duo chips — I believe) the encryption/decryption is built right into the CPU as hardware, so it's seamless... They call it FileVault2.

All of my work computers are using it, and they are all screaming fast (all use SSD drives)... So I'm wondering; is there anyone out there who's using FileVault2 on a recording machine, and can you speak to whether it's good / bad / neutral as compared to not using FileVault at all?

Yes, this is a geeky question, but why not aim for added security if it's not going to impact performance?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Filevault2 on later-era macs

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:49 am

Never used filevault. Never will.

I probably also will never use the version 2.0 of this.

Cheers, and good luck with this.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:57 am

NO planning to / dying to use it — just wasn't sure if there was anyone out there who had.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:30 am

I don’t have a need for encryption, but for brainless background backups of system drive and work in progress, I use Time Machine. I have a large internal drive that everything backs up to, and I have a large external drive that also serves the same purpose (it alternates backing up to either the internal or the external). I often work off of external SSD for certain projects like film and those are also configured so as soon as I plug them in time machine knows to update it’s backup of them.

Time Machine may sound too basic but it absolutely works and has saved my buns on a few occasions... I had the system drive go out a few years ago and I just drove to microcenter, popped a new drive in, booted up, and pointed my time machine drive to restore to that drive. Within a few hours it was as if nothing ever happened.