Beyerdynamic m260

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

floid
buyin' a studio

Beyerdynamic m260

Post by floid » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:21 am

Someone local has a pair of m260s for $600. I know some of the history of these particular mics as they were used as spaced pair o/h on my first session in a "real studio."
Talk me out of this. Or don't.
Village Idiot.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Beyerdynamic m260

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:36 am

Do it.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:30 pm

I like them a lot.

Make sure they are in good working order. I've reribboned a bunch of them, as beyer no longer services them.

For $300 each, you want to know they are in good shape.

$.02

Jon

New Orleans Steve
takin' a dinner break

Post by New Orleans Steve » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:52 am

YES. Make sure they work. Basically an M500 without the vocal contour.
I have used them on piano and vocals in a sparse mix or as a sibilant killer, for those vocals that are really Ssss ey

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:40 pm

You might also want to double-check with United Sound Services about servicing them (as a "just in case") they're a 3rd party, but they handle the official parts replacement / service for all beyerdyanmic products. I know that Shinybox mentioned that Beyer no longer services them, but I'm not sure if that means "authorized service centers don't service them either".

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:49 pm

To my knowledge, United Sound Services does not service the M500, or the M260 (based on prior correspondence asking, and also later looking for parts :D ). They do service any current Beyer ribbon mics (M130, M160, the newer TG ribbons), but they do so with replacement parts, they don't do reribbons.

Hope that helps

Regards

Jon

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:30 am

Samar was doing them.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:06 am

M260s exist with low end extension... and versions (often ending in "..80") with a lowcut in the output transformer so it can't be modded to get rid of the lowcut in case it has one. Make sure which one you get. The original Beyer ribbons are corrugated in a combination of length-wise and RCA-style.. which you can see here:
http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/b ... amic/M-500
So the original ribbons take higher SPLs, but trade that for a bit of fidelity. I like both for different things. They are nice as overheads when you need to "focus" on the drumset in cases where other instruments/amps in the room play at the same time. I use them a lot on hihat, under the hihat, angled outwards, very close to the lower cymbal, with a Harrison Ford Filter set to lowcut under 800Hz. Seems crazy? It's not intended to give a a nice hihat signal for the mix, my overheads do that very well. This way the hihat is louder in my track than any snare that's played and if needed i can use this track so sidechain the overhead a little with a dynamic EQ if the drummer bashes... or if the hihat is played softly amongst a lot of noise, the reduction of spill is good enough so i can push these little "tchck-tchck" just a tad. Which are all rare occasions, admittedly. A good M260 also kills on guitar amps when they aren't super loud. Compared to a Royer 121 (which sounds nice) it sounds more aggressive and nasty in a good way, if you record stuff like that.
Due to luck and circumstances i am offering a limited run of Beyerdynamic M380 clones with unused Beyer capsules. PM me for info.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:47 am

frans_13 wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:06 am
M260s exist with low end extension... and versions (often ending in "..80") with a lowcut in the output transformer so it can't be modded to get rid of the lowcut in case it has one. Make sure which one you get. The original Beyer ribbons are corrugated in a combination of length-wise and RCA-style.. which you can see here:
http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/b ... amic/M-500
So the original ribbons take higher SPLs, but trade that for a bit of fidelity. I like both for different things. They are nice as overheads when you need to "focus" on the drumset in cases where other instruments/amps in the room play at the same time. I use them a lot on hihat, under the hihat, angled outwards, very close to the lower cymbal, with a Harrison Ford Filter set to lowcut under 800Hz. Seems crazy? It's not intended to give a a nice hihat signal for the mix, my overheads do that very well. This way the hihat is louder in my track than any snare that's played and if needed i can use this track so sidechain the overhead a little with a dynamic EQ if the drummer bashes... or if the hihat is played softly amongst a lot of noise, the reduction of spill is good enough so i can push these little "tchck-tchck" just a tad. Which are all rare occasions, admittedly. A good M260 also kills on guitar amps when they aren't super loud. Compared to a Royer 121 (which sounds nice) it sounds more aggressive and nasty in a good way, if you record stuff like that.
So I ended up doing it. I blame y'all, as no one was persuasive enough the other way :lol:
These are the non locut version. So far as I know, things sound as they should. Fred took good care of his gear.
Not long ago I acquired a pair of Russian royer style ribbons by Marik, which thoroughly impress me. The m260 is a nice contrast, as like you mentioned it seems to love amps. I've been liking how it handles chimey percussive clean tones, which is where my guitar playing has taken me lately. Need to experiment more on the kit as I've yet to find something that truly blows me away, but that's me.
Thanks for your insight everyone.
Village Idiot.