Aiight, let's talk stylee

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Aiight, let's talk stylee

Post by vvv » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:20 pm

I've always kinda dug, even as i get frustrated by, bands what change up their sound.

I mean, for example, Led Zepp III after I and II.

Or even Radiohead, post-"Creep".

Some make a thing of it, ex., Bowie, Plant, Lucinda Williams, Mark Lanegan ...

But recording me - damn, it's fun.

Currently finishing up a kinda Cure-influenced techno EP, where the drums are unabashedly macheen, is weird, and fun.

And, the point is, intentional - I set out to do it.

Do anybody else conceptualize then record a collection?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Aiight, let's talk stylee

Post by drumsound » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:43 am

I'm not a songwriter, and only occasionally work on my own music. I will alter my engineering and producer concepts based on the artist.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:15 pm

I get to do that, too!

Altho', because 95% of what I do is me or my bands, I kinda try to have some consistency of sound.

I mean, I don't go lo-fi*, or smashed**, or even heavy-verbed***, unless the song needs it; IOW, I don't use such things as a style-point.

(Examples:
* Sebadoh
** Metallica
*** JAMC)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:29 pm

I've never been able to create the kind of contrast where my stuff was totally committed to a specific genre, and then dropped it to commit to another. There's usually a few different complimentary things in my band's stew that changes spices over time.

What I do change from album to album is more thematic, and more about a lyrical approach. I get tremendous satisfaction out of it, but it's only really noticeable to like 5-10 of our preciously focused/analytical listeners. I don't get high on my horse enough to pretend that most people track that kind of subtext. If nothing else it drives the song arrangement and execution sometimes, it can give parts purpose, or a textural/dynamic orientation. It also makes it emotionally real for me to sing which probably makes it more effective to the more casual listener.

I sometimes envy the chameleon like stuff you're talking about. All of my groups have tended to work within fairly strict limitations based on few members and few instruments with a cupole overdub embellishments in the studio (usually with various keyboards, auxiliary percussion). I sometimes fantasize about putting together a 5-6 piece band featuring some multi-instrumentalists so the cellist could get weird on a moog or something.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:23 pm

I spent the last week working onna 5 songer where the drums, as said, are macheen-based. I took care to emphasize the kick, and made myself not add any percussion.

I also made the executive decision to use a single synth, played thru a tube amp, and mic'd in stereo. As it worked out, every track has two keys parts.

The bass is paralleled with two different compressors so there's a slight stereo spread - at least one track has a doubled bass.

I also used a Bass VI for the guitar parts (in addition to the reg'lar bass) because, well, that was the concept, and it's mic'd in stereo, also (by what I mean, a close and a room mic, panned in the mix).

I'm final-mixing the 4th track as I post, typing as a track renders.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:23 pm

So, I linked the E.P. in the "Listen" forum in the "Vlayman" thread.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.