One Neve Channel to Rule Them All

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

One Neve Channel to Rule Them All

Post by losthighway » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:55 pm

Hey gang. As I've aged I've appreciated how this forum has shifted a bit away from the consumer-obsessed model-driven discussions and more into emphasizing general practices and applications- much as I have. But once in a while I still geek out on product, and I don't love the gearslutz world so here goes:

I've got some great pre channels in my setup: Sytek, API, Great River, Chandler. To the point where I've felt like I've had all of the channels I need for the last 4 or 5 years I've been recording. Somehow 14 channels of good pres means I never have to use the preamps on my board even tracking bands live with extra excess on the drums (bottom snare mic, two mics on kick, room mic etc). Once in a while I think I'd like one last, very nice, key mic pre. Like the one I'd almost always record vocals through (currently the Great River).

So, what's the best, currently-produced channel of Neve style preamp? Be it Rupert Neve designs, BAE, Vintech, any of 'em. Is there one 1073 that is lord of all? Is there a different model type in the Neve stable that's even better? What is best (obviously subjective, but have at it)?

Theo_Karon
takin' a dinner break

Re: One Neve Channel to Rule Them All

Post by Theo_Karon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:05 pm

I'm sure I'll get raked over the coals for this one, but...

I've tried most of them at various studios in LA at some point - and for one thing, often working on an 8068 loaded with a bunch of 31102s and some 1073s - I prefer the 31102s - but, I digress, and at 5k+ a pop neither of those preamps really stacks up in terms of actual value for the $$ (I know, coals, me, raked over - but, I do this stuff for a living, and 1 channel of preamp & EQ for like 6k just makes no sense on any practical level, given what else is available. I mean, that's the low end of budget for tracking an entire record these days. Give me a break. I have one 31102 at my shop and I love it, but I didn't pay anywhere near that much for it - and I won't.)

I like the Revive Audio modded Golden Age 500 series 1073 better than any of them. And considering that you can literally get a 10 space 500 series rack loaded up with 10 of them for the same price as a SINGLE vintage module... No EQ, sure, but it does the thing. I trust my reaction more than the specs or price tag, and the Golden Age with the Revive mods just does the thing.
Everything is going to be OK.

https://www.theokaron.com/

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:46 pm

I have used and like the Brent Averill Audio (BAE) ones.

Even compared the real ones to his... there is no difference, other that his components
are new, as opposed to old.

Nice company too.

Not sure about the other companies products as I have not used them.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:25 am

I had an Aurora GTQ2 that sounded quite nice. Its got a simple but effective 3 band EQ on each of its stereo channels.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:55 am

If you don't need the EQ and have a 500 series rack, I can't recommend the Hairball Copper preamps enough. I built 2 of them after tracking in a studio that had a pair, and will build more (when I actually need more preamps and don't just want more preamps ugh). I haven't done any scientific side by side comparisons with Neves, but I tracked drums and guitars for my band's record through a Neve console filled with 14 1073 and 1066 modules, and then used 2 coppers on the room mics. Later at home, I tracked all of my guitar overdubs through the Coppers... I think the character is strikingly similar. The tracks all sound very cohesive, in a way that tracking through a console sounds.

I'm a huge fan of the Great Rivers too. I need to get a pair at some point.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com