Any luck using Rx to help remove clipping distortion?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Any luck using Rx to help remove clipping distortion?

Post by kslight » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:21 am

To clarify I understand you generally don't want to record too hot levels, but I have a Sennheiser Ambeo headset which has very limited controls...at the minimum record level (which I suspect could be attenuated further, if Sennheiser/Apogee were so willing) I was recording a concert where the sound engineer had decided to have stupid loud levels (big shocker right? well I had recorded the same band a week earlier off a different PA and did not experience this) and not surprisingly it audibly clips a lot.

I do own RX6 Standard which has the "de-clip" module, which in my experiment does not seem to make a significant audible difference. The "help" page suggests using the "Deconstruct" module for more severe distortion, which of course is a feature included only in RX Advanced so I haven't tried this. I am skeptical that this will help (at least, not help enough to justify the price tag...which considering these recordings are for my personal entertainment only, not for pay...) but was curious if anyone had attempted similar fixes.

I assume that the "de-clip" module is probably better suited towards individual tracks than a complete stereo mix, and that is why it did not help my scenario.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Re: Any luck using Rx to help remove clipping distortion?

Post by permanent hearing damage » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:51 am

depending on what the clipping sounds like, the de-clicker in RX might actually serve you better. I doubt you'll get it totally restored, but it might make it less obvious/offensive.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:54 am

the de-clicker is usually pretty great. try that and the decrackler as well.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:09 pm

Thanks I’ll try that. I’ve used the declicker before, though not for somewhat crunchy mixes... Most of the time it’s not too bad but sometimes when the bass drops it gets worse.

Right it’s unfortunate I think the mix balance off the distorted show is sometimes a bit better, and the venue has more people...whereas the not distorted show has a half empty club sound to it... Which is all part of the fun of concert taping, but anything I could do to improve upon what I’ve got would be nice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:38 pm

Yeah I noticed that de-clicker in the single band mode seems to remove a fair amount of crunch. Multi-band mode sounds similar to de-crackler, both of which seem probably too severe for this context.

Of course not perfect, but perfection wasn't the goal, but taking away some of the crunch makes it a little nicer to listen to.