Tascam 388 Transport Button Wont Play/Silent Motor

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

samcornet
audio school

Tascam 388 Transport Button Wont Play/Silent Motor

Post by samcornet » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:36 am

I can not give my Tascam 388 transport buttons to work. It will not RR, FF, or play. I am fearful that something is blown out of my board.

So, I started my day wanting to give my Tascam a little tune up. The Left VU Meter light has been off for awhile. This didn't bother me until the VU Meter stopped working completely. So I purchased a replacement one off of eBay and began to work.

I noticed that the VU meter had a PCB Board that needed to be soldered on into order to work. So very carefully, I took out the four PCB boards (The power supply, the transport PCB board and the two BIAS boards). Without having to take more components out, I decided to unsolder the old VU meter to the left while soldering the wires into the new one. After a couple of frustrating moments, one of the red wires attached to the L TRACE on the bottom left of the PCB board had to be recut since it had a broken wires, and on the top left L TRACE of the PCB had two orange wires into one so I had to twist the two together to get it into the hole, I finally got it done.

I put the board back and plugged it in to test, and the machine had a fluttering sound but the lights came on. The VU meter was receiving power but all of the meters now had the peak light on. So I figured I was frying something or overloaded something. Turned it off and turned it on back again. Same result. I looked at my fuses and a three of them broken. So I replaced them. Took out those PCB boards and realized that I bent one of the pins that the board sits on by inserting the board the wrong way. Also realized that my transport board was not the last board to go in but it goes in right after the power supply board. I ordered the boards the right way, the BIAS boards differ slightly so I am not sure about them. The one pictured is the one I am not sure which order that one goes int

Now my machine runs quieter than its ever run and I can not get the transport buttons to engage. It gives me a stutter and then stopped. Did I blow out my motor? Not sure but could the order in which the fuses where broken give an indication of what went wrong? Could someone help??
Attachments
20181009_074828.jpg
20181009_074828.jpg (174.07 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
20181009_074841.jpg
20181009_074841.jpg (221.35 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
20181009_074838.jpg
20181009_074838.jpg (216.13 KiB) Viewed 1488 times

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: Tascam 388 Transport Button Wont Play/Silent Motor

Post by kslight » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:59 am

I’ve never disassembled the 388 like that, my first thoughts would be to retrace your steps and make sure nothing was overlooked.

Unfortunately transport problems have various causes, and may or may not be related to what you have done. Could be capstan belt, logic, motor, etc...

Maybe you could post a video showing exactly what’s going on?

samcornet
audio school

Post by samcornet » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:22 am

Here is a dropbox link of the videos..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7aqgiai4jqdj ... g9hca?dl=0

I looked in further and I am definitely blowing fuses so I don't know which wires I soldered on wrong on my vu meter to cause this short

or maybe I put in the fuses wrong

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:45 am

samcornet wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:36 am
Took out those PCB boards and realized that I bent one of the pins that the board sits on by inserting the board the wrong way. Also realized that my transport board was not the last board to go in but it goes in right after the power supply board.
This is the first stuff I would try to troubleshoot. By reversing the board, what might your power rail have connected to, etc.
Village Idiot.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:50 pm

Oh I didn't notice what Floid highlighted...I believe that there is probably some damage (or multiple points of damage) from reversing the board...maybe burnt out some of the logic...it is difficult for me to guess what exactly installing a board wrong would do...

You may try posting on the Home Recording board...there's a guy Sweetbeats, that may or may not have any tips.