Places for one off vinyl

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Places for one off vinyl

Post by joninc » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:31 am

Have any of you used any of these companies that will do a single or very short run of vinyl?

Looking for recommendations and companies to avoid... any tips. Thanks
the new rules : there are no rules

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Places for one off vinyl

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:40 am

Hey Jon
Indie Pool here in Toronto is doing short runs and one off vinyl. I think they’re cutting on a lathe not pressing. I haven’t used them so no idea about cost, quality, reliability or sketchy-ness.
I think Sonic Boom (the giant used record store here in town) also does one offs in house. Again, never used them so buyer beware.

******edit. Just reread your post. These may or may not be helpful and I have no experience with them so I’m not really answering your question. Moving along.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:20 pm

Gotta Groove Records, i did a 7" 45 RPM pressing only 100 of them (their minimum is 50), they were awesome. They are in cleveland ohio so it's not far from Canada. Very easy process and the record looks/sounds great. i shopped around and the pricing was market rate or cheaper.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:03 am

One-off's were always cut acetates in the old days, I don't know that anyone is doing anything different now. If I'm not mistaken, play life is very low compared to pressed vinyl, as in diminishing quality with each spin.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:50 am

emrr wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:03 am
One-off's were always cut acetates in the old days, I don't know that anyone is doing anything different now. If I'm not mistaken, play life is very low compared to pressed vinyl, as in diminishing quality with each spin.
I don't think they have a very good shelf life either, as the lacquer can deform over time and also release from the aluminum.
Village Idiot.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:50 am

floid wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:50 am
emrr wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:03 am
I don't think they have a very good shelf life either, as the lacquer can deform over time and also release from the aluminum.
That's what the lacquer needs to be plated in metal, so that there isn't deformation.