Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Tracking Unusual Instruments

Post by drumsound » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:00 am

vvv wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:22 am
In the latest George Pelecanos book, The Man Who Came Uptown, "tree" is the characters' slang for that what they smoke to get high.

Didja actually get anything audibly usable? (As opposed to, say, psychologically or motivationally usable ...)
losthighway wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:05 am

I love this story. Did the tree produce anything audible?

Also, what if you cranked the gain and detected something subharmonic resembling speech coming from the tree? Who man, whoa...
It was a beautiful breezy spring night. We got great fluttery leave sounds.

I did not do a sub-harmonic check for speech, but I don't think the 635a captures much below 50hz anyway...

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:08 am

Dave,

I forgot to mention, I once got to do chimes as well. They do add an epic quality.

I'm trying to remember how I miced them. I played the song for clients recently, and they thought it was marvelous. I had vibes, bells and chimes (in addition to normal band instruments and vocals).

ubertar
cryogenically thawing

Post by ubertar » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Pretty much everything I do falls in this category...
get a hammered sound from guitar or bass! http://www.stringhammer.com
hand-made version to raise money for manufacturing... kind of like kickstarter, but you get a fully functional item now

Album!
https://paulrubenstein.bandcamp.com/album/one-eye-awake

Dubmaniac
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Dubmaniac » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:32 pm

My most unusual instrument I've tracked was a set of ankle bells on an teenage girl during her graduation performance from classical Indian dance school. I used a couple of PZMs on the stage. If I could do it again, I'd tape a wireless lavalier to her leg and EQ out a lot of the high end that lavaliers tend to have in abundance. Oh, and there was an Indian group performing as well, with the usual tablas, sitars, etc. This was so long ago that I tracked it live to 2 track cassette!

More recently, I recorded an album for a Brazilian singer/songwriter. The first track featured acoustic guitar, drums and bass, but also featured a small hand drum and a giant drum called the Surdo. It sounded like an acoustic 808 kick drum! Eduardo told me that Surdo in Portugese means deaf.
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

MathewRes
audio school

Tracking Unusual Instruments

Post by MathewRes » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:57 pm

Had to laugh a little at the drummer but GM always talks sense, plus its all about getting the right sound out of the instruments. I dont think he even mentioned EQ or fixing anything later apart from the vocals?

digitaldrummer
dead but not forgotten

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:52 am

one of the "noise" bands i recorded had a large garage door spring mounted on a piece of 2x4. there was a guitar pickup attached to it as well but it had gotten damaged and we didn't get any output... so I had to mic it. I honestly don't remember what I used, but I think I put a pair of condensers of some kind on it. The spring was under a little tension and would get scraped with other metal things... spooky stuff.

Another time a guitar player had a little toy electric drill (Playskool I think...) he would hold near the guitar pickups. just had a mic on the amp, but the sound sure was interesting...

And once a guitar player had some kind of old tube/tape delay. At the end of a song we noticed it was picking up some local AM Mexican radio station so we kept it rolling and that was the fade out for that song...

Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:49 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:52 am
And once a guitar player had some kind of old tube/tape delay. At the end of a song we noticed it was picking up some local AM Mexican radio station so we kept it rolling and that was the fade out for that song...

Mike
I love embracing things like that.