Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Re: Redux: Condensers on toms

Post by frans_13 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:54 am

cgarges wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:45 pm
...I've had good luck with AT 4047s (big, but sound pretty good kind of close to the drum) and AKG 451s (the older ones and I have the super-handy swivel joints for mine).
The AT4047 were also pretty much on the A list, when we got together to check more than 40 mics on drum stuff between us three guys. For all condensers - which i also like on toms - the crucial factor is spill from cymbals. If the drummer is disciplined, condensers sound great. My AKG 451 (i also got the old ones, because i'm old, too) don't take to high SPLs ... so a few of the (regularly on Ebay from some Austrian guy) -10dB pads you screw between capsule and body will be handy. If you don't got condensers that fit the situation and playing, dynamic mics that pretty much sound close to condensers will do for me.
Due to luck and circumstances i am offering a limited run of Beyerdynamic M380 clones with unused Beyer capsules. PM me for info.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:54 pm

I recently picked up one of the sE X1-D to use on outside kick -- it was on sale for $99 and I liked the idea of a $99 mic on kick vs something much more expensive. I actually like the way it sounds. It has a titanium diaphragm so its kinda snappy sounding but also no problem with SPLs and bottom end. If I get time I will see how it sounds on toms - cause you've got me curious now. Oh, and they are on sale for $79 now. so even better...
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... microphone
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:28 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:54 pm
I recently picked up one of the sE X1-D to use on outside kick -- it was on sale for $99 and I liked the idea of a $99 mic on kick vs something much more expensive. I actually like the way it sounds. It has a titanium diaphragm so its kinda snappy sounding but also no problem with SPLs and bottom end. If I get time I will see how it sounds on toms - cause you've got me curious now. Oh, and they are on sale for $79 now. so even better...
I can't remember who, but someone I know has a few of those and likes them on toms. I have a pair of the big brother T2, also titanium capsules, and they are really great mics.

I wonder how long that sale lasts...

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:47 pm

ok, finally got time to try the SE X1D on some toms. I think it's definitely a workable mic for toms too. I liked the sound of my 421's better (technically MD421 II's), but to be fair I did not spend a lot of time positioning the X1D. I just kind of threw it up there where I'd normally start with a tom mic (recognizing the capsule is oriented differently on these...) so maybe if I spent more time I would have liked them more. For now it's on my outside kick.
Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:29 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:28 am
digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:54 pm
I can't remember who, but someone I know has a few of those and likes them on toms. I have a pair of the big brother T2, also titanium capsules, and they are really great mics.

I wonder how long that sale lasts...
It was this video by bleen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZniaatjKA_s

I ended up ordering 4 of these...

I've been using a T2 on outside BD and I kind of want to keep them for more mission critical, or stereo things, so I'll use one of these most often.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:45 am

yeah, (the video) is very close to the position I had the mic as well - but I only had one so it was very quick test. I'll be interested to hear what you think once you get some time with them. the current price seems like a great deal. maybe I'll pick up a couple more for the hell of it... 8)
Mike

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:02 pm

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:52 am

I'm Painting Again wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:02 pm
Beyer makes this one rn the successor to the Opus 88

https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/tg-d58.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mHXqwLY470
Those have always intrigued me as well. I'm a Beyer nut... They do sound the best of all the mics in that video, by far.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:17 pm

sE should give digitaldrummer a commission. I bought three - ha! seems they're discontinued? only got to try it on outside kick so far, but gonna try them on toms for my next tracking session. only complaint so far is the clip not being movable. i always get at toms with stands coming up to them, makes for a bigger footprint around the kit as they are.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:07 am

dang it, no money in my mailbox yet! but I agree, looks like they discontinued the X1D and all the other X1 models except the X1S, but it goes for more than 2x the price ($199). Looks like maybe they did away with the Titanium capsule too (gold-sputtered now) and the SPL handling is up to 160dB with pad engaged. And self-noise is much lower too. But more importantly, the mic clip is detachable... I suppose I'll have to wait for those to go on sale next but then again $200 is still pretty cheap. :lol:
Mike