Weathervane overhead

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

User avatar
losthighway
deaf.
Posts: 1802
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Weathervane overhead

Post by losthighway » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:13 pm

Ah ha! I found a more helpful video for this:

https://vimeo.com/58215617

randrohe
gettin' sounds
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: Weathervane overhead

Post by randrohe » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:29 pm

Awesome! I missed this one.
So, they are ALL focusing on the snare.
Well, I guess that closes this chapter.

I wonder if I really “need” a Coles? Hmmmm.. lol

User avatar
losthighway
deaf.
Posts: 1802
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Weathervane overhead

Post by losthighway » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:18 pm

I've been convincing myself I need one (or two) over the last 6 months.

A Cascade fathead is a pretty good stand in while I save though.

User avatar
A.David.MacKinnon
ghost haunting audio students
Posts: 3140
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Weathervane overhead

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:36 pm

randrohe wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:29 pm

I wonder if I really “need” a Coles? Hmmmm.. lol
No. You need two.

randrohe
gettin' sounds
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: Weathervane overhead

Post by randrohe » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:17 pm

I have been weening myself off of gearslutz, and I came here to find a safe and sane place.

So, you guys really think I should get a pair of Coles?? I mean, your probably right, and I can sort of afford them if I just remortgage, or stop paying some of my other bullshit bills.
Who needs insurances if your really careful, right? Lol

Actually, I have 2 pair of fatheads and 2 MXL 40.
Love ribbons.
I can only imagine how much better Coles or AEA may be.

User avatar
A.David.MacKinnon
ghost haunting audio students
Posts: 3140
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Weathervane overhead

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:12 pm

randrohe wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:17 pm
Actually, I have 2 pair of fatheads and 2 MXL 40.
Love ribbons.
I can only imagine how much better Coles or AEA may be.
10-15% but it’s a good 10-15%. Of course you don’t “need” a coles. All you need is usable gear and some good ideas. The really great pieces just make the job a bit easier.

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6602
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Weathervane overhead

Post by drumsound » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:32 pm

So, its basically Glyn Johns with a center mic. That's cool. I wonder if that allows for the L/R to be hard panned without pulling to one side.

randrohe
gettin' sounds
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: Weathervane overhead

Post by randrohe » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Brian McTear was asked about hard panning, and he said that he only goes out to like 40% each side. It is more about the center mic holding the kick and snare in the middle, while the left and right are added in for some detail.

User avatar
losthighway
deaf.
Posts: 1802
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Weathervane overhead

Post by losthighway » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:42 pm

randrohe wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:17 pm
I have been weening myself off of gearslutz, and I came here to find a safe and sane place.
Oh no! That the second time I've triggered a GS comment this year. I need to keep my gear lust in check!

randrohe
gettin' sounds
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: Weathervane overhead

Post by randrohe » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:37 pm

Luckily this year is almost over.....
I did just order a MCU pro from Alto sound / b stock.
Christmas present to me / from me.
The Coles will just have to wait until I learn Reaper and get the hell out of Ableton 5!
One day I will actually pay those fine developers their $60..
Thanks for all the input folks.

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6602
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Weathervane overhead

Post by drumsound » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:52 pm

randrohe wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:57 pm
Brian McTear was asked about hard panning, and he said that he only goes out to like 40% each side. It is more about the center mic holding the kick and snare in the middle, while the left and right are added in for some detail.
Cool, thanks. I've been thinking about an LCR setup for overs for shits and giggles.

User avatar
I'm Painting Again
zen recordist
Posts: 6927
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 2:15 am
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Weathervane overhead

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:20 pm

many times putting those mics equidistant from the kick impact sounds more solid - worth a try

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6602
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Weathervane overhead

Post by drumsound » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:50 am

I'm Painting Again wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:20 pm
many times putting those mics equidistant from the kick impact sounds more solid - worth a try
I like to think of a center line of where the BD beater hits and the center of the snare when I'm placing overheads.

User avatar
I'm Painting Again
zen recordist
Posts: 6927
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 2:15 am
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Weathervane overhead

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:18 pm

drumsound wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:50 am
I'm Painting Again wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:20 pm
many times putting those mics equidistant from the kick impact sounds more solid - worth a try
I like to think of a center line of where the BD beater hits and the center of the snare when I'm placing overheads.
that's a smart move and I'll start there often myself - at least when I'm doing a vanilla mic style and trying to maximize options for later and not just baking in the sound to begin with

for fans of this with low ceilings and bad cymbals (and you're not wanting as much attack from the top skins if you have no close mics) try an experiment with weather vane underheads - spend a bit of time positioning and listening - it can be pretty great when you get it

ORTF underheads is a simpler way to try it out initially if you have any faith in this idea

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6602
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Weathervane overhead

Post by drumsound » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:25 pm

I'm Painting Again wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:18 pm
drumsound wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:50 am
I'm Painting Again wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:20 pm
many times putting those mics equidistant from the kick impact sounds more solid - worth a try
I like to think of a center line of where the BD beater hits and the center of the snare when I'm placing overheads.
that's a smart move and I'll start there often myself - at least when I'm doing a vanilla mic style and trying to maximize options for later and not just baking in the sound to begin with

for fans of this with low ceilings and bad cymbals (and you're not wanting as much attack from the top skins if you have no close mics) try an experiment with weather vane underheads - spend a bit of time positioning and listening - it can be pretty great when you get it

ORTF underheads is a simpler way to try it out initially if you have any faith in this idea
I've heard people talk about underheads for years, but have never done it. I've done a similar to Albini close front M/S pair a couple of times, and that is pretty cool.

When you say ORTF underheads, where are you putting them? I've thought to try right behind and slightly to the drummers left, so that they are on the level with the drummer's head.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests