Servicing AT mics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

losthighway
resurrected

Servicing AT mics

Post by losthighway » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:51 am

So I know Audio Technica has its own service department where you can send them their stuff. I'm wondering if anyone on here has had experience with them. How fast? How expensive?

I've been needing to send in my AT4047 for ages, and yesterday I found my 4033 was making gross sounds that would stop when I tapped my finger on top of the grill, and then come back 30 seconds later. Maybe it took on too many raging 8x10 bass cabs.

I'd have a hard time justifying dropping $200 plus on fixing either of these, yet what is a broken mic? Nothing, that's what.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by alexdingley » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:14 pm

this is hardly a super-valuable 2¢ on the subject, but I did just have an experience with Toby Hicks in the AT parts department — and it was fantastic.

Granted, my need was small, and not capsule/circuit-related... but they picked up the phone after just a few seconds on hold, and he sent me the part I needed, free of charge. It was just a specific locking-washer for the shock mount to my AT 4050, but still... he was quick & helpful, and I just got the shipping notification that they're sending my new washer today.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:33 pm

No, that is helpful and part of the equation. They're not assholes, can't say that about all repair techs.

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:51 am

I once had "emergency surgery" on one of their stereo mics. It fell off my vehicle and smashed onto the blacktop road in the upper peninsula of Michigan. When I discovered it was missing, we retraced our route and found it (no pun intended) at the crossroads. It took a header and half of the grill was smashed in. I was rather bummed out, but since I live in Pennsylvania and AT is located in Stow, Ohio I decided to call them to have it looked at. I was able to drop off the mic, go over to Kent, OH to Woodsy's Music and grab some lunch...2-3 hours later I went back. My mic was fixed and spec'd out in their anechoic chamber. I forget how much it cost, but it was reasonable. That was the day I became a lifetime AT fan.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:32 am

Anybody else amused by the thread title?

Or am I just a prevert?

I reckon my mics like the idear.

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:47 am

You are a dirty man.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:02 pm

Good thing you couldn't picture nothin' for what I referenced, eh. :biggergrin:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:02 pm

So, small update:

I mailed out one of the two (4047) to see how I felt about the process. I sent it about 10 days ago, but I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Not mad or anything, but starting to wonder. Repairs on anything can be slow though, so the jury is totally still out.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:01 pm

10 days really doesn't sound like a long time.

At 20, I might inquire ... or 30.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:00 am

seconding that notion— it's rare that a typical repair (even in-warranty) would be turned around this quickly. That said, if you didn't get a "thanks, we've received your item and will update you as soon as more information is available" type of reply, I don't think they'll begrudge you following up.

Many Many MANY companies that I've worked with have perfectly adequate repair teams that can definitely fix stuff just fine... but it's rare to find an exceptional customer-service experience throughout a repair process. I do, all too often, find myself having to "project manage" the repair process with certain companies.

That said — from my direct contact with Cody Wright at AT's repair department, I'm pretty sure they've got their act together.
vvv wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:01 pm
10 days really doesn't sound like a long time... At 20, I might inquire ... or 30

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:10 pm

Yeah, I'm not worried yet. I'll give them a few more days before I send an inquiry.

I realized the level of speed and communication on the purchasing end can give us unrealistic expectations when sending something for repair. I've gotten plenty of near-instant gratification recently, it's time to kick it old school and be patient.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:56 am

For those of you who've been on the edge of your seats at home following the dramatic developments in my effort to keep my AT condensers working, well I have an update:

With no messages, or correspondence I received a Fedex shipping notification from AT. I checked my bank account and they charged $146 to the account I gave them in the service form. I guess I'll get to find out what they had to do when the working mic comes to my door with whatever documentation they use. I'm really curious what the problem was, but I figured anything less than $200 was still better than replacing a utility mic in the $500 or less section of my mic locker. It'll be good to have the 4047 back again.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:20 am

losthighway wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:56 am
... I received a Fedex shipping notification from AT. I checked my bank account and they charged $146 to the account I gave them in the service form.

What, was it shipped using a Rolls Royce? :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:55 pm

vvv wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:20 am
losthighway wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:56 am
... I received a Fedex shipping notification from AT. I checked my bank account and they charged $146 to the account I gave them in the service form.

What, was it shipped using a Rolls Royce? :twisted:
I think $146 was the repair and shipping cost.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:32 pm

You have just witnessed the benefit - and wunna the only - of a English d'gree.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.