Servicing AT mics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6686
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by drumsound » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:58 pm

vvv wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:32 pm
You have just witnessed the benefit - and wunna the only - of a English d'gree.
I'm cornfused

User avatar
vvv
zen recordist
Posts: 8618
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 8:08 am
Location: Chi
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:08 am

I believe the proper schpelling is, "confuzzed".

In the event, when reading "... I received a Fedex shipping notification from AT. I checked my bank account and they charged $146", I saw it as being possible that, "they charged $146" re "Fedex shipping".

Me, I mighta added "total" after "form" to avoid the bad form of a fuzz-fan like me so critiquing, see.

Now, back to the detasseling.*


*corn joke
bandcamp; vlayman;
THD; Geronimo Cowboys;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6686
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by drumsound » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:00 am

vvv wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:08 am
I believe the proper schpelling is, "confuzzed".

In the event, when reading "... I received a Fedex shipping notification from AT. I checked my bank account and they charged $146", I saw it as being possible that, "they charged $146" re "Fedex shipping".

Me, I mighta added "total" after "form" to avoid the bad form of a fuzz-fan like me so critiquing, see.

Now, back to the detasseling.*


*corn joke
Oh, I got the joke... Here in Central Illinois, its all about the corn.

User avatar
losthighway
deaf.
Posts: 1859
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by losthighway » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:32 am

Well, the good news is the mic is back. I didn't keep very good track but that had to be 3 weeks or less from when I sent it to when I got it.

The $146 had a $100 charge for "replaced element". I'd love to know what the element was. The rest was a mere 1/2 hour of labor.

I'll be plugging it in this weekend for the sake of satisfaction.

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6686
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by drumsound » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:22 am

losthighway wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:32 am
Well, the good news is the mic is back. I didn't keep very good track but that had to be 3 weeks or less from when I sent it to when I got it.

The $146 had a $100 charge for "replaced element". I'd love to know what the element was. The rest was a mere 1/2 hour of labor.

I'll be plugging it in this weekend for the sake of satisfaction.
I assume that means a capsule.

User avatar
losthighway
deaf.
Posts: 1859
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by losthighway » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:11 pm

drumsound wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:22 am
losthighway wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:32 am
Well, the good news is the mic is back. I didn't keep very good track but that had to be 3 weeks or less from when I sent it to when I got it.

The $146 had a $100 charge for "replaced element". I'd love to know what the element was. The rest was a mere 1/2 hour of labor.

I'll be plugging it in this weekend for the sake of satisfaction.
I assume that means a capsule.
I wondered that. For some reason I assumed a capsule would be pricier- heart of the microphone and all, but I suppose it's still one piece of the puzzle.

User avatar
vvv
zen recordist
Posts: 8618
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 8:08 am
Location: Chi
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by vvv » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:15 pm

drumsound wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:00 am
vvv wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:08 am
I believe the proper schpelling is, "confuzzed".

In the event, when reading "... I received a Fedex shipping notification from AT. I checked my bank account and they charged $146", I saw it as being possible that, "they charged $146" re "Fedex shipping".

Me, I mighta added "total" after "form" to avoid the bad form of a fuzz-fan like me so critiquing, see.

Now, back to the detasseling.*


*corn joke
Oh, I got the joke... Here in Central Illinois, its all about the corn.
Indeed, I went to school in Champaign, and then DeKalb. I saw Head East play at Cornfest, what was corn on corn...
bandcamp; vlayman;
THD; Geronimo Cowboys;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6686
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by drumsound » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:02 pm

vvv wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:15 pm
drumsound wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:00 am
vvv wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:08 am
I believe the proper schpelling is, "confuzzed".

In the event, when reading "... I received a Fedex shipping notification from AT. I checked my bank account and they charged $146", I saw it as being possible that, "they charged $146" re "Fedex shipping".

Me, I mighta added "total" after "form" to avoid the bad form of a fuzz-fan like me so critiquing, see.

Now, back to the detasseling.*


*corn joke
Oh, I got the joke... Here in Central Illinois, its all about the corn.
Indeed, I went to school in Champaign, and then DeKalb. I saw Head East play at Cornfest, what was corn on corn...
People still talk about Head East around here.

I went to school in DeKalb myself. NIU class of '92. Go Huskies!

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6686
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by drumsound » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:03 pm

losthighway wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:11 pm
drumsound wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:22 am
losthighway wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:32 am
Well, the good news is the mic is back. I didn't keep very good track but that had to be 3 weeks or less from when I sent it to when I got it.

The $146 had a $100 charge for "replaced element". I'd love to know what the element was. The rest was a mere 1/2 hour of labor.

I'll be plugging it in this weekend for the sake of satisfaction.
I assume that means a capsule.
I wondered that. For some reason I assumed a capsule would be pricier- heart of the microphone and all, but I suppose it's still one piece of the puzzle.
The only other thing I can think of in that mic that might cost $100 in the transformer.

User avatar
losthighway
deaf.
Posts: 1859
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by losthighway » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:11 pm

drumsound wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:03 pm
losthighway wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:11 pm
drumsound wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:22 am


I assume that means a capsule.
I wondered that. For some reason I assumed a capsule would be pricier- heart of the microphone and all, but I suppose it's still one piece of the puzzle.
The only other thing I can think of in that mic that might cost $100 in the transformer.
With intermittent noise issues that's probably just as good of a theory, especially considering the mic was generating some of the noise when there wasn't even sound coming out of the source. I don't know why I want to know, I'm just used to taking an amp to my amp guy and when I pick it up he shows me a bunch of parts and schools me about how it's supposed to work and why there was a problem.

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6686
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by drumsound » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:54 pm

losthighway wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:11 pm
drumsound wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:03 pm
losthighway wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:11 pm


I wondered that. For some reason I assumed a capsule would be pricier- heart of the microphone and all, but I suppose it's still one piece of the puzzle.
The only other thing I can think of in that mic that might cost $100 in the transformer.
With intermittent noise issues that's probably just as good of a theory, especially considering the mic was generating some of the noise when there wasn't even sound coming out of the source. I don't know why I want to know, I'm just used to taking an amp to my amp guy and when I pick it up he shows me a bunch of parts and schools me about how it's supposed to work and why there was a problem.
Yeah, that makes sense. The personal touch of the local guru can't be beat.

I'd bet an email would get you the information you request.

User avatar
vvv
zen recordist
Posts: 8618
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 8:08 am
Location: Chi
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:26 pm

drumsound wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:02 pm
I went to school in DeKalb myself. NIU class of '92. Go Huskies!
Indeed! Class of '85. 8)

I worked at McCabes for 3 years ... ate a lotta Sgt. Pepper's ... and that gyro place on the main drag (Tom Jerry's?) ..., Wild Bill's, The Crystal Pistol (I think that closed), Lincoln Inn, Pizza Villa ... Best Happy Hour then was at the Holiday Inn back then. Spent a lotta $ at the Motel 6 for about a year when I hadda married gurrlfriend ... EDIT: How could I forgot Andy's?

Didja know Stan D.? (He's in da biz.) He owned (may still own) The Uprising or Otto's or whatever it's called, does live sound for Wilco ... I played there, and some joint over on frat row. There was that cool guitar store, Ax in Hand - I heard Larry the owner died, tho'.
bandcamp; vlayman;
THD; Geronimo Cowboys;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6686
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by drumsound » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:43 pm

vvv wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:26 pm
drumsound wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:02 pm
I went to school in DeKalb myself. NIU class of '92. Go Huskies!
Indeed! Class of '85. 8)

I worked at McCabes for 3 years ... ate a lotta Sgt. Pepper's ... and that gyro place on the main drag (Tom Jerry's?) ..., Wild Bill's, The Crystal Pistol (I think that closed), Lincoln Inn, Pizza Villa ... Best Happy Hour then was at the Holiday Inn back then. Spent a lotta $ at the Motel 6 for about a year when I hadda married gurrlfriend ...

Didja know Stan D.? (He's in da biz.) He owned (may still own) The Uprising or whatever it's called, does live sound for Wilco ... I played there, and some joint over on frat row. There was that cool guitar store, Ax in Hand - I heard Larry the owner died, tho'.
McCabe's, I'd almost forgotten about that place. I hung out at Otto's to see music. I heard they closed it down and it sat for a few years, and when they tore it down there was a MASSIVE swarm of bees that literally created a cloud and an actual shadow because it was so damn large.

I lived on John Street right by Tom and Jerry's, that was where I got gyros. My girlfriend worked at Sgt Pepper's. I ate lots of beer nuggets.

I didn't know Stan by name, but may have known him.

User avatar
vvv
zen recordist
Posts: 8618
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 8:08 am
Location: Chi
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:37 pm

Yeah, I lived next to T&J's above the law offices 1 year, then in the loft's behind T&j's on the next block East.

Beer nuggets, ha! Forgot those ...

Watermelons and alligator shots ...

There were tunnels under Otto's; best show I saw there was Green on Red. Did you know The Service guys?

Aiiight, enuff nostalgia.
bandcamp; vlayman;
THD; Geronimo Cowboys;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

User avatar
losthighway
deaf.
Posts: 1859
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by losthighway » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:01 am

I played a basement show in Bloomington Normal one time, but no one was there because it was spring break and the only college kids in town were 2 of the 4 kids that were running the house show, venue, party place.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests