Servicing AT mics

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6654
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by drumsound » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:10 am

vvv wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:37 pm
Yeah, I lived next to T&J's above the law offices 1 year, then in the loft's behind T&j's on the next block East.

Beer nuggets, ha! Forgot those ...

Watermelons and alligator shots ...

There were tunnels under Otto's; best show I saw there was Green on Red. Did you know The Service guys?

Aiiight, enuff nostalgia.
I didn't know there were tunnels under Ottos I loved that joint.

I didn't know the Service guys until the became New Duncan Imperials. We used to play shows with them in Chicago from time to time. Great bunch of guys.

losthighway wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:01 am
I played a basement show in Bloomington Normal one time, but no one was there because it was spring break and the only college kids in town were 2 of the 4 kids that were running the house show, venue, party place.
Why didn't you call? ;)

User avatar
losthighway
deaf.
Posts: 1830
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by losthighway » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:28 am

drumsound wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:10 am
losthighway wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:01 am
I played a basement show in Bloomington Normal one time, but no one was there because it was spring break and the only college kids in town were 2 of the 4 kids that were running the house show, venue, party place.
Why didn't you call? ;)
:P
2003, you missed out on an intimate performance of some intense post-hardcore rock music. I'm not sure if I knew about the tomb then.

User avatar
vvv
zen recordist
Posts: 8565
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 8:08 am
Location: Chi
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:10 pm

drumsound wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:10 am
I didn't know the Service guys until the became New Duncan Imperials. We used to play shows with them in Chicago from time to time. Great bunch of guys.
I was friends with those guys in DeKalb (did a awesome version of "Pushin' Too Hard") and then when they broke up; I even did some bidness with 'em some when Ken had the Pravda things. I lost touch. :cry: I believe they have a new band:
https://www.wbez.org/shows/morning-shif ... 527a4bad6f
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9nl69 ... neR0jqwY_g

I think that's Gary Elvis Shepers on bass ,Rick on guitar, Kenn on keys.
bandcamp; vlayman;
THD; Geronimo Cowboys;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6654
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by drumsound » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:02 pm

losthighway wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:28 am

:P
2003, you missed out on an intimate performance of some intense post-hardcore rock music. I'm not sure if I knew about the tomb then.
I totally would have come.

vvv wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:10 pm
drumsound wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:10 am
I didn't know the Service guys until the became New Duncan Imperials. We used to play shows with them in Chicago from time to time. Great bunch of guys.
I was friends with those guys in DeKalb (did a awesome version of "Pushin' Too Hard") and then when they broke up; I even did some bidness with 'em some when Ken had the Pravda things. I lost touch. :cry: I believe they have a new band:
https://www.wbez.org/shows/morning-shif ... 527a4bad6f
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9nl69 ... neR0jqwY_g

I think that's Gary Elvis Shepers on bass ,Rick on guitar, Kenn on keys.
I didn't realize they had a new band. They had an 80s vibe thing for a while, and my band Wiplot played with them at the International Pop Overthrow. I guess the drummer (Goodtime) lives in Texas now. That's totally Gary Elvis. I saw him mix sooooo many times at Lounge Ax.

ETA: My buddy James Coffee (FOH at Beat Kitchen for years) used to mix NDI, but sometimes if Rick couldn't go out, he would be Pigtail Dick. The funny part is that Pig is at least 6 inches shorter than James. James would wear the straw hat, obscuring his face and totally deny if any one called him out.

User avatar
vvv
zen recordist
Posts: 8565
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 8:08 am
Location: Chi
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:21 pm

Ha!

Yeah, I used to know Gary Elvis pretty good from Lounge Axe, also - he was damn good on FOH, did sound for my band(s) one or twice't. I seem to recall he had some health problems; he certainly looks a lot skinnier. I think he did sound for The Bottle Rockets, so roscoenyc might know him ...

I didn't know Mr. Coffee, but I played there a bunch. One time, did a song singing without the mic over a full tilt band just to prove how loud, and drunk, I was. Good pizzas there back then (early 90's.) Just remembered the song was called, "When Yer a Clown", and it was about Gacy - I also wore a red foam clown nose ...

As for NDI:
"I'm Schizophrenic, No I'm Not"
"Motel 666"!
bandcamp; vlayman;
THD; Geronimo Cowboys;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6654
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by drumsound » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:56 am

vvv wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:21 pm
Ha!

Yeah, I used to know Gary Elvis pretty good from Lounge Axe, also - he was damn good on FOH, did sound for my band(s) one or twice't. I seem to recall he had some health problems; he certainly looks a lot skinnier. I think he did sound for The Bottle Rockets, so roscoenyc might know him ...

I didn't know Mr. Coffee, but I played there a bunch. One time, did a song singing without the mic over a full tilt band just to prove how loud, and drunk, I was. Good pizzas there back then (early 90's.) Just remembered the song was called, "When Yer a Clown", and it was about Gacy - I also wore a red foam clown nose ...

As for NDI:
"I'm Schizophrenic, No I'm Not"
"Motel 666"!
Haha. I played Beat Kitchen with at least 4 bands. I loved that joint. What band were you with?

I love both those NDI songs.

User avatar
vvv
zen recordist
Posts: 8565
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 8:08 am
Location: Chi
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by vvv » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:06 am

A few bands, Grind, Burnt, Devils, Denials ... it was the era (87-95) of 1 word-named bands!

I think I played BK with all but Devils.

This was me in Denials, circa '95, sweaty pink shirt. We were trying to sound like The Dream Syndicate (note the Les Paul headstock of one of our 2nd guitarists - we had 3? - to the right). That pic is in our practice space; the Peavey was someone else's as the bassist used a GK rig (behind him?). I think the other guitarist had a Twin.

Image

I still look like that, except fatter, balder, and usually not as damp. I still have the Marshall and the F-100, also, and am still friends with the bassist and drummer whose latest band (Removers) is playing on the 1st at Montrose Saloon. Bassist told me his G&L got stolen a while back ...

(Edited for the date.)
Last edited by vvv on Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandcamp; vlayman;
THD; Geronimo Cowboys;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

drumsound
zen recordist
Posts: 6654
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL
Contact:

Re: Servicing AT mics

Post by drumsound » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:42 pm

Niiiiiiice. I played with Bitter Boy, the Weird Sisters and Spiritual Twins in that era. Plus a bunch of on off things like Spaghetti West, and some gigs with Blanch Black (From Phil 'n the Blanks 'fame').

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests