Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Headphones and comfort

Post by vvv » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:16 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:33 am
... the one here is like the bodega of Guitar Centers.
:lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

IanWalker
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by IanWalker » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:22 pm

Someone else here mentioned having a big ol' noggin... which I do as well. Wearing glasses makes it harder, since they pinch behind my ears. I find MANY over-ears too tight. AKGs are usually very good, and I like a lot of the Sony DJ headphones where comfort is concerned.

My most recent headphone purchase was a pair from Status Audio. Their CB-1 - their flagship cans, closed back. Thus far, comfortable and sound good, but I haven't done any sessions with them yet, nor any marathon listening sessions. But they're looking and sounding good so far, especially for the price (and they pretty regularly have coupon codes floating around).
--
Ian!
http://michigansoundservices.com/

Drivar dohaeris. Drivar morghulis. (All drives must serve. All drives must die. Basically, back up your data.)

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:37 pm

I just bought the Status CB-1s. Had to replace an old pair of AKGs and, as I'm a rank hobbyist, didn't want to spend too much. I like them so far. Thanks for posting, it was how I learned about them.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:11 pm

My most precise, and most comfortable, headphones are a pair of Sensaphonics IEM earbuds. Custom molded to my specific ears, this is fairly common amongst professional musicians and live sound technicians. I got mine, the base model, $650 on sale.

The upside is that I can wear them for an 8-hour plane flight and even get a couple naps in. The odd downside is that these are really super detailed, to the point where I'm really using a microscope to listen where a pair of conventional headphones would just be a magnifying glass. Vinyl records are no fun at all with these things, because I can hear how narrow and squashed the bass has to be for vinyl.