Sytek no longer making the MPX 4aii?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Re: Sytek no longer making the MPX 4aii?

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:42 pm

I kinda soured on my 4 ch pre pretty fast and sold it, but I knew a lot less about good gear back then and have grown a lot. Mike was knowledgable, obviously.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

ShardsLV
audio school

Post by ShardsLV » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:28 pm

These really "got the pre out of the way" for me so I could develop my ear and confidence (and really hear MY shortcomings). It seems pretty pivotal for some, myself included, so hopefully it comes about again in some form. Have to mention too how Mike got back to me in a ms to help troubleshoot an issue with mine! Clearly a lot of care and intent went into the design. I own one and use it nearly every session but would grab a 500 series version in a sec at 200/ch for location work and just plain solid sounding spare channels. There should be gear obits on tomb.
Matt Molchany
Shards Recording Studio
Co-Founder | Tape Swap Radio
@shardslv

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:45 pm

The MPX4A & ii was manufactured in 4 versions: 4 ch of stock pres, 4 ch with Burr Brown (BB) IC's, 2 ch with stock and 2 with BB IC's in preamps 3 & 4 and one with 2 stock channels and 2 with J-Fet IC's in preamps 3 and 4. The BB and J-Fet IC's are less detailed and somewhat slower/rounder sounding than the stock preamp IC's which I think have 5532 IC's. The J-Fet IC's are apparently TL072's.

For those who own or use this pre, what models do you have and which IC preamps do you prefer?

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:49 pm

I've got 2 stock channels, 2 J-fet, I tend to use the j-fet channels with things where the highs need a little taming, a screechy violin or overly sizzly snare, or a kick that needs fattening.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:26 am

eh91311 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:45 pm
For those who own or use this pre, what models do you have and which IC preamps do you prefer?
Mine both are the stock version. I have plenty of color pre's, so never felt the need to make these lean that way.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:04 am

i have one stock unit and another with BB on channels 3&4. i use the stock channels, typically - often ribbon mic duty for overheads and guitars.
also used for general quiet things or if i'm out of other options/feeling lazy. burr brown channels i use for bottom tom mics, usually.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:12 pm

In my mobile rig I have one with all stock preamps, which I prefer, but I recently bought one with J-Fet TL072's in preamps #3 & 4 that I need to try out on a session.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:11 pm

permanent hearing damage wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:09 am
Just stumbled on their website as I'm debating selling one of mine and saw it's discontinued. i guess there are probably an awful lot of them out there, but figured there would still be a market for these? just surprising is all. these still hold up pretty damn well, and I can't think of anything better for $200ish/channel
I hadn't heard of this product but I've been looking for a 4-channel rack pre! Are you still trying to sell?