Headphone extension wire (best gauge?)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Headphone extension wire (best gauge?)

Post by alexdingley » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:07 am

I'm building a long (maybe 25'-40') extension for a headphone-level signal... and I'm not sure if there's any problem in using a standard shielded mic/line cable for this.... or if I ought to be buying a particular gauge of cable / particular shielding type. In this application, it's not going to be coming off of my pro-audio headphone amps... it'll actually be coming directly off of a headphone out on the front-face of a yamaha A/V Receiver. Just trying to add a headphone cord that comes up behind a lounge area couch (so no one ever trips over the cord)... but I don't want to have the cable introduce some notable sonic issues by being the wrong type of cable)

SO... at that length, is it a non-issue... or do I have to be specific if I'm trying to not alter my signal too much. Typically have a pair of 80ohm Beyerdynamic DT770 pros on the lounge couch.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: Headphone extension wire (best gauge?)

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:49 pm

I've been using the cheaper like 20 cent a foot Gepco or Redco or Canare regular line cable with the budget Neutrik TRS male to TRS female ends for headphone extenders for years with no problems - if you're concerned with it having a slightly extended frequency response or being ultra rugged go for the 50 or 75 cent a foot line cable - but i think even the cheap stuff will sound as good as you need

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Headphone extension wire (best gauge?)

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:55 am

I have several of these:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... t-straight

and have no complaints. I've been using them for years.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com