Great little sleeper microphones... ADVENT MDC-1

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pandemic
pushin' record

Great little sleeper microphones... ADVENT MDC-1

Post by pandemic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:29 am

I haven't posted in forever so I thought I would jump back in with some cool mics I scored at the ol' thrift store... The ADVENT MDC-1! These are low imp. cardioid, balanced tape recorder microphones with an attached 20' cable terminated with a TRS plug. These mics were made by Beyer in the 60's and are possibly re branded Beyer M80's. I purchased 4 TRS-XLR adapters but plan to cut the cables down and wire a standard XLR since the cables are a bit crusty. I purchased a Sony cassette recorder that had a pair with it for 20$ and I liked the mics so much I bought a second pair on ebay for $60, These mics have great low end and I have been using them to mic toms lately... Here is a google drive folder link with a down and dirty mic shootout I did with some of my go to drum mics... Enjoy! Let me know what you think! https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P_uXt ... naxce_G3NB
Good Luck At Any Cost

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Great little sleeper microphones... ADVENT MDC-1

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:15 am

I don't know that mic but just wanted to give a shout out for the Shure SM59! My favorite mic for clean guitars. I just packed it into my travel rig for an out of town session this weekend.
Great on snares as well.

pandemic
pushin' record

Re: Great little sleeper microphones... ADVENT MDC-1

Post by pandemic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:32 am

Yeah man... Love my 59's. I use them everywhere!
Good Luck At Any Cost