TASCAM 388 VU BULBS *all of them are out*

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

iamdamosuzuki
audio school

TASCAM 388 VU BULBS *all of them are out*

Post by iamdamosuzuki » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:13 am

Hi all,

This is my first post on here, so forgive me if this post is in the wrong place.

I have a Tascam 388 I've had for about 3 years now and it is beautiful and works great, BUT all my VU lamps have been out since I got it.

I understand it is an involved process to replace them but I'm wondering if it could be something else? A loose connection to the meter bridge? a blown fuse to the lights?

any 388 experts out there understand what this could mean?

I swapped a PM1000 for the 388 and never thought to ask about the lights as the guy runs a reputable amp company in Portland and told me it had been serviced -- and functionally it has been perfect -- it's just that I want this thing to glow like it should. :oops:

I know it's common for bulbs here and there to blow, I've just never heard of this happening to all of them.

this question has been burning in my mind for the duration of my 388 ownership, so anything is appreciated :worthy:

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: TASCAM 388 VU BULBS *all of them are out*

Post by kslight » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:43 am

I don’t think it could be a fuse, IIRC. I think they are tied in individually. It is certainly feasible that they could all be out... I’ve never worried about it though. I have one machine with all lights on and one with several out...and I think one of my previous machines had all lights out also.

But I mean replacing all the fuses is a $5 and 5 minute fix if you wanted to, I just don’t believe it’ll fix it.