Moderators: drumsound, tomb

akpasta
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Tascam 388 effects straight to tape tracks

Post by akpasta » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:44 am

kslight wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:21 am
If that doesn’t work, then here’s another way that should work:

Using the FX/aux sends, but return them down to the line inputs of one or two tracks, and buss THOSE tracks with the other tracks you want to submix down to two tracks. If you need two FX returns you’ll only be able to do 1-4 instead of 1-5, but I know this should work.
Wow that sounds cool too. I don't quite understand how to execute what you're describing, but I think i'll be able to figure it out easily enough.

Do I do the following?:

1. Record dry drums on tracks 1-4
2. Hook up left and right effects via send, return them to inserts on channels 5-6.
3. Arm 5-6 for record.
4. Record and drums from 1-4 will be printed to 5-6 with effects.
5. Pingpong/bounce dry 1-4 and wet 5-6 onto 7-8 for wet stereo drum mix

Perhaps you don't even need to print effects to tracks 5-6, but just use them as pass throughs to get the wet signal to 7-8. I'm pretty new at thinking about these kinds of advanced tricks.
Last edited by akpasta on Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:55 am

akpasta wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:44 am
kslight wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:21 am
If that doesn’t work, then here’s another way that should work:

Using the FX/aux sends, but return them down to the line inputs of one or two tracks, and buss THOSE tracks with the other tracks you want to submix down to two tracks. If you need two FX returns you’ll only be able to do 1-4 instead of 1-5, but I know this should work.
Wow that sounds cool too. I don't quite understand how to execute what you're describing, but I think i'll be able to figure it out easily enough.

Do I do the following?:

1. Record dry drums on tracks 1-4
2. Hook up left and right effects via send, return them to inserts on channels 5-6.
3. Arm 5-6 for record.
4. Record and drums from 1-4 will be printed to 5-6.
5. Pingpong/bounce dry 1-4 and wet 5-6 onto 7-8 for wet stereo drum mix

Perhaps you don't even need to print effects to tracks 5-6, but just use them as pass throughs to get the wet signal to 7-8. I'm pretty new at thinking about these kinds of advanced tricks.
Change:

2. Returns can go into the Line inputs on 5-6, not the access return.
4. Buss 1-6 to 7-8.

Then record. Adjust 5-6 to taste for fx balance.

akpasta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by akpasta » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:00 am

Thanks! Pumped to try this out.

akpasta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by akpasta » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:43 am

Hey there folks,

I tried it out and what I found was it is possible to print to tracks with effects, but not exactly like I thought/hoped.

To go over the steps I followed:

1. Record dry drum tracks 1-5
2. Run effects send to reverb unit. Send dry tracks 1-5 to reverb unit.
3. Send reverb unit to track 6 via Rcv, or Line-In, or XLR. The weird thing is you can't get a signal on track 6 even though you can hear it with the fader, or record to the track. I'm really confused by this. Can anyone explain why?
4. From there the only way to print with effects is to dial in your wet/dry mix with faders on tracks 1-5 dry and wet 6 and then buss them to a different track to record.

I guess this is a fine method, it's just a little weird to me, I'd prefer to have all my tracks with levels and everything and then bounce them all with a buss. I guess this is the only way?