Tascam 388 effects straight to tape tracks

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

akpasta
alignin' 24-trk

Tascam 388 effects straight to tape tracks

Post by akpasta » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:36 am

Hi Folks,

Sort of new to the 388 and have a question about effects and inputs.

On my Tascam 4-track the effects send/return will go straight to tape when you hit record on any track for which you'd applied effects, which is awesome. You can hook any effect you want to the effects send, run a mic straight to the deck and drench it.

The Tascam 388 won't do this! The effects send will only go to tape when you mix down to two tracks through the main outs. I am not a fan of the effects send/return when it comes to putting effects on drums on the main outs. It seems to kind of dilute the sound of stereo drum tracks and the stereo mix in general. Hard to explain. I'd prefer to set my effects between the mic and the 388 so they go straight to tape, done. Being an analog rat I am thinking 1. drum mic to guitar pedal. 2. Guitar pedal to 388. I don't do crazy close mic-ing, just some overheads and maybe a kick mic (which can be dry).

I immediately realized, 1/4" inputs on the 388 are not powered. I'd need a rack pre-amp or something with multiple ins and outs, which I do not have, or some kind of powered sub-mixer, which I also don't have.

Can I simply purchase a some 1/4" to male xlr to get from the pedal to the 1/4" input on the 388 so I can get the tracks powered? Does it matter whether I use a balanced or unbalanced 1/4" tip? I'm guessing not since the pedal isn't balanced.

Can anyone give me an idea of another way to do what I want to do (effects on drum mics straight to tape on each track). Is there some secret way of bussing things within the 388 to do it? I don't get how some of that stuff works.

Oh let me add, what would be IDEAL is if I could record 4-5 mics to the 388 tracks 1-5, dry, then on playback, dial effects in via effects send/return, and have the effects to go tape when bouncing the tracks to tracks 7-8. Is this possible?

Thank you!!

Here is what I am thinking of purchasing - https://www.sfcable.com/6ft-xlr-male-to ... cable.html
Last edited by akpasta on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: Tascam 388 effects straight to tape tracks

Post by kslight » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:57 am

To my knowledge, using the fx send and returns will not record to tape in any mode.

You could use the inserts however and this would record.

Or you could use an external mixer and print the stereo mix of that to tape.

XLR to 1/4” cables I think will work fine, depends on the source...I have a couple unbalanced mics I’ve plugged in this way. With a guitar pedal it might be better to use a direct box (and still can find pretty cheap ones that work okay..), but it’s not always necessary. Probably doesn’t matter if it’s a TS or TRS end.

akpasta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by akpasta » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:10 am

kslight wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:57 am
How would I do this?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:50 am

akpasta wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:10 am
kslight wrote:
How would I do this?
Plug your mic into a channel. Plug a trs y cable (aka an insert cable) into the insert point on that channel. Plug your effect into the other ends of the insert cable. It’ll put the effect in line after the preamp stage (and before or after the eq depending on the mixer. I’m not sure about 388 implementation). Your effect will need a wet/dry blend control if it’s a reverb or delay other wise you get the 100% effected signal to tape.

However you do it thumbs up to printing the effects to tape. I do the same on my 488 ( and often in Pro Tools projects these days). Building mix decisions into your tracking is a huge thing.

akpasta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by akpasta » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:25 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:50 am
akpasta wrote:
kslight wrote:
How would I do this?
Plug your mic into a channel. Plug a trs y cable (aka an insert cable) into the insert point on that channel. Plug your effect into the other ends of the insert cable. It’ll put the effect in line after the preamp stage (and before or after the eq depending on the mixer. I’m not sure about 388 implementation). Your effect will need a wet/dry blend control if it’s a reverb or delay other wise you get the 100% effected signal to tape.

However you do it thumbs up to printing the effects to tape. I do the same on my 488 ( and often in Pro Tools projects these days). Building mix decisions into your tracking is a huge thing.
Ok, so I'm totally new to "inserts." they are simultaneously both an "in" and an "out." So how do I get that one input to interface with effects, like, say, a guitar pedal? How does it go into the in and out of the out of the pedal? Here's the back of a 388 - Image

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:29 pm

No, the 388 is not setup like the above poster suggested, some mixers are, but not the 388. The 388’s inserts are called access, you have send and receive per channel.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:15 pm

the new rules : there are no rules

akpasta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by akpasta » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:27 pm

joninc wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:15 pm
You need a Y cable liike this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-Inch-Ma ... 6787&psc=1
for what?????

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:27 pm

akpasta wrote:
kslight wrote:
How would I do this?
Use the access points, send and receive. Send goes in the input of your effect, receive from the output.

NO Y cables! :alien:

akpasta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by akpasta » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:15 pm

kslight wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:27 pm
akpasta wrote:
kslight wrote:
How would I do this?
Use the access points, send and receive. Send goes in the input of your effect, receive from the output.

That will work for my separate tracks!

Another question. I’ll have to try this for myself. But say I have 5 dry drum tracks (1-5) and I want to mix them down to 2 tracks (7-8) with effects could I pingpong/bounce 1-5 to 7-8 and run an effect through the send and return of 7, and 8 and get both the dry track and the effect on each track? My gut says no.

I wish there was a way to add effects when
You bounce! That would be so ideal!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:14 am

akpasta wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:15 pm
kslight wrote:
akpasta wrote:

How would I do this?

Another question. I’ll have to try this for myself. But say I have 5 dry drum tracks (1-5) and I want to mix them down to 2 tracks (7-8) with effects could I pingpong/bounce 1-5 to 7-8 and run an effect through the send and return of 7, and 8 and get both the dry track and the effect on each track? My gut says no.

You’ll just have to try it and experiment for the right hookup scenario, but you absolutely can add effects when you bounce...ive done this before...layering and reprocessing effects over and over... I think you just want to add your effects to the 7-8 channels and it should work, just like if you plugged a mic in.

akpasta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by akpasta » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:22 am

kslight wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:14 am
akpasta wrote:
kslight wrote:

You’ll just have to try it and experiment for the right hookup scenario, but you absolutely can add effects when you bounce...ive done this before...layering and reprocessing effects over and over... I think you just want to add your effects to the 7-8 channels and it should work, just like if you plugged a mic in.
kslight, you've done this on a 388? I know for a fact that the effects send/return will not end up a track you bounce to, even if you are hearing the effects on that track as you are bouncing. That's the tricky thing I'm trying to figure.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:57 am

akpasta wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:22 am
kslight wrote:
akpasta wrote:

kslight, you've done this on a 388? I know for a fact that the effects send/return will not end up a track you bounce to, even if you are hearing the effects on that track as you are bouncing. That's the tricky thing I'm trying to figure.
Yes, using the access send and returns per channel. That’s what I thought we were talking about. Bounce 1-5 down to 7-8, while recording have your effects on the access send and returns of 7-8. I know I did it somehow because the track in question was even placed in a movie, so I’m not imagining things.

akpasta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by akpasta » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:05 am

kslight wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:57 am
akpasta wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:22 am
kslight wrote:

Yes, using the access send and returns per channel. That’s what I thought we were talking about. Bounce 1-5 down to 7-8, while recording have your effects on the access send and returns of 7-8. I know I did it somehow because the track in question was even placed in a movie, so I’m not imagining things.
That sounds awesome. I wasn't questioning you, just clarifying! Thank you. I'll try it and report back.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:21 am

If that doesn’t work, then here’s another way that should work:

Using the FX/aux sends, but return them down to the line inputs of one or two tracks, and buss THOSE tracks with the other tracks you want to submix down to two tracks. If you need two FX returns you’ll only be able to do 1-4 instead of 1-5, but I know this should work.