Mixing Down to Macbook Air - NO AUDIO INPUT?!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

akpasta
alignin' 24-trk

Mixing Down to Macbook Air - NO AUDIO INPUT?!

Post by akpasta » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:14 am

Hi Folks,

I received a new 13" Macbook Air as a gift for x-mas. I took it to my studio to mix some stuff down from the tascam 388, and plugged the RCA to 1/8" cable into the headphone jack, went to "sound" to toggle from output to input, and.... no drop down?

Apparently, apple removed the ability to toggle the headphone jack from output to input.

WTF is the user supposed to do?

I've searched everywhere online, people seem to recommend something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Balanced-Hi-end- ... o+rca+male

basically, an RCA to 1/8" with an added microphone tip like on an apple earbud set to "fool" the software into thinking there's a mic but really it's an input. I've also read that, in this very Amazon listing this adapter won't work to send the RCA signal to the computer as an input.

Does anyone have any advice? I see a lot of instances of this question being asked online, but no instances of it being answered.

Frankly, I'm pissed.

darjama
tinnitus

Re: Mixing Down to Macbook Air - NO AUDIO INPUT?!

Post by darjama » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:55 pm

Behringer U-CONTROL-UCA202 go for $30 and give you RCA ins and outs. Of course you'll still need the usb-c to a adapter.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Mixing Down to Macbook Air - NO AUDIO INPUT?!

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:19 pm

Why on Earth would you trust your mix down to inferior converters on a laptop?

Go get an external converter, literally anything that will work with your laptop.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.