Monitoring "amp"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Monitoring "amp"

Post by vvv » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:06 pm

Because of this post, I'm questioning my use of a home stereo receiver (Technics SA-600) for my monitors (Tannoy 6.5PBM2, Auratones, Rat Shack Minimus 77, Polk computer, a Tivoli).

I like it because I can hook up multiple sources (2 computers, CD) and monitors fairly easily, and I have FM (rarely used but handy ...), and it sounds good.

What am I missing vs. using an Alesis, or Crown, or Adcom, etc., power amp?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Re: Monitoring "amp"

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:58 pm

I have several 2-channel, amp-only amps that I've used for monitors (and tiny PA) Hafler rackable, a Sony beautiful, solid home stereo style, a carver rackable, I'm sure I've used a tuner before for monitor amp. Now my monitors have their own biamps in them. I also have many different pairs of passive speakers. What matters is that you're getting what you need out of the speakers. And being able to put through the speakers what you want. My Hafler is killer in a bi-amped bass rig. If your monitors are working for you, you're set. but there is something magical about certain amp/speaker combos that I've experienced. I've always wanted to pick up a Phase Linear amp and some of those old JBL 15" 3-ways from the 80's. After a couple experiences with that combo way back then. Sorry for the scattered post.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:41 am

"using an Alesis, or Crown, or Adcom, etc., power amp" you're missing the selectability you have with your receiver. Mackie Big Knob (among others) solves that issue.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:22 pm

So I'm looking for a handful of things.

First, I'm looking for an amp that doesn't alter the signal - if my converters sound funny, if something's distorted, if there's a hum or buzz in the program material, I want to be able to hear it. Ideally, the amp isn't adding anything of it's own.

I look a little bit at specs, but they're not a hard & fast thing - not every manufacturer states things in the same way, and some manufacturers fluff their specs. Since I'm driving a load of less than 8 Ohms, I have to check that the amp is spec'd for that. I want a high damping factor, but how high is high enough? Maybe 100? I want low THD - but is 0.1% THD audible in contrast to 0.03%?

I love some of the little Nelson Pass amps, but they're the opposite of this - high THD, low damping factor. They're sound effect devices - they sound lovely, and impart that on the program material. Not what I need for studio monitoring. If my mixes don't translate, I don't want it to be due to the amp.

An audible fan is a deal breaker.

I also look for professional interfacing - balanced inputs, appropriate headroom. Banana jacks or speakons. Rack ears. Possibly output fault detection to keep from killing the output transistors. Again, some piecemeal combination of this is workable, but there are things that separate consumer devices from pro ones.

I've also been using a power amp (or amplified monitors) for a long time, and have a control-room switcher/volume control device for input/speaker selection & master volume. When everything is properly set up, I can bounce between the mains, Minimus 7s and homemade auratone, and the volume doesn't really change.

Your Technics appears to have OK specs (https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_libra ... -600.shtml). Only rated to 8 ohms, though, and the damping factor is a bit low compared to something newer...though likely astounding for 1978.

Bottom line: if it works, for you, it works for you.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:33 pm

"Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω"

8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:49 pm

If money is no object...

Get a speaker selector switch, like a Coleman.

Then, \the issue will be amplifying each set of speakers...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:17 am

Well, I have the Tannoys as "A" offa the receiver.

The "B" goes to a NILES AUDIO SPS-4, to what the Rat Shacks, Auratone and Polks are connected.

The Tivoli comes right offa the Delta 44.

Right before the receiver izza Samson C Control what I use to go down to mono; someday I'm gonna hook up a sub.

Delta 44
|__Tivoli
|
|__SamsonCcontrol --TechicsSA600 --Tannoys or SPS-4 (Auratone or RatShack or Polk)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:12 pm

vvv, you've been doing sound for a long time. Why do you ask what you're missing? I think you know what's up!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:59 pm

Well, it's a constant striving to get better, innit.

I mean, I don' wanna be complacent.

And, I like to indulge me G.A.S.

But yeah, :oops:, I'm pretty happy with my set-up of some 3 years now.

Did guitars, 3-5, on 4 songs today, and now doing first "final" mixes ...

(We should mebbe re-start the "what didja record today" thread - I think I will!)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.