Reverse reverb on Tascam 244

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jfelton616
audio school graduate

Reverse reverb on Tascam 244

Post by jfelton616 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:39 pm

Hey y'all,
I'm having trouble executing this! I know it's possible just not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong. Any pointers?

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Reverse reverb on Tascam 244

Post by drumsound » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:07 pm

Well, first off you need to flip the tape over. Remember that track numbers are not reverses (i.e. 1 is now 4). You need open track space to record the backward reverb.

So lets say you want the backward reverb on snare, that is on track 2 and that track 4 is open.
You flip the tape, now the snare plays (backward) on track 3 and the open track (4) is now track 1.

Use an aux sent from channel 3 playback to feed your reverb and route its return to record to track 1 through a line input of the 244. Record enable track 1 (remember the tape is flipped)Play the tape (with track 3 in sync mode) and record the reverb onto track 1.

Now flip the tape and play back the song. You'll hear the reverb show up before the snare hits. It will get louder, not decay as a normal reverb.

ETA: Check the manual on the 244 to make sure how the track layout is on the tape. My description is has the track laid out as

It may actually be different.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:41 am

If the track layout is 1-4 (not always so check the manual) then you can subtract the current track number from 5 to know what track it will end up on when reversed. Not a big deal on 4 track but the same math can be helpful with higher track counts. On an 8 track you subtract the current track number from 9. On a 16 track subtract from 17.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:51 am

I always just counted backward on the track sheet. Your math trick is better.