Kinda like a modern take on the Tascam 388 in a lot of ways. (Tascam Model 24)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

shedshrine
deaf.

Re: Kinda like a modern take on the Tascam 388 in a lot of ways. (Tascam Model 24)

Post by shedshrine » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:44 pm

Fed Ex changed the delivery to Friday.
Meanwhile..

Airline, Mesa, Harmony

harmony H410A with tremelo

Airline Model 3731

Last edited by shedshrine on Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Kinda like a modern take on the Tascam 388 in a lot of ways. (Tascam Model 24)

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:55 pm

I love those Boogies.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:55 pm

I love those Boogies.

b
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Re: Kinda like a modern take on the Tascam 388 in a lot of ways.

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:43 am

shedshrine wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:17 pm
my Mesa Boogie studio pre
My secret weapon! Had one as a kid (you've heard it:), sold it in the 90s like a dummy, bought another one 10 years ago, will not be selling this one.

You ever see the Quad? It's two studio pres in one!

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:45 am

vvv wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:55 pm
I love those Boogies.
vvv wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:55 pm
I love those Boogies.

b
Vlayman loves to Boogie twice as much as the average devotee.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:43 am
shedshrine wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:17 pm
my Mesa Boogie studio pre
My secret weapon! Had one as a kid (you've heard it:), sold it in the 90s like a dummy, bought another one 10 years ago, will not be selling this one.

You ever see the Quad? It's two studio pres in one!
No way! I would just track everything through it several times til everything sounded the size of small buildings, and then run the mix through once or twice, and then send it off to you for mastering with instructions: "Do your mojo bro, but run it through yer quad a few times. Thanks!"

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:45 pm

I love reggae women, too.

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:51 pm

vvv wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:45 pm
I love reggae women, too.

:twisted:
I just called.
To say.
Superstition aint the way.

Just got home.. big box on the doorstep.

Respect for you guys demands a disclaimer. I am excited to get this piece but I am not a power user. You guys replying to this thread are the real deal, meaning have the engineering chops to get things perfect (in the best sense of the word.) I am going to primarily be using the Model 24 for capture, committing to effects, bouncing out to open channels, and mixing straight to the internal master or a dedicated recorder through a stereo compressor and calling it good. I won't be using the daw interface feature unless I need some more serious editing to be happy with a given piece, but given my history it's all about capturing the idea and the raw intent. I am a long term dabbler, home recordist (and TapeOp reader!) talking about my initial impressions of the Tascam Model 24 here.

-The blue tooth connection worked straight away, paired no problem, got Veruca Salt's American Thighs going from the phone while hooking things up.

-I've got two sets of powered monitors. Going with the KRK series 1 V8's with the +1 hf shelf switch and the -3 50 hz switch settings (chosen over the non-adjustable smaller KRK Series II V4's) as they are placed only a few inches from the wall and this sounds clearer.

-to try out the channel strips, running the stereo outs of the electrix repeater into channel 11 and 12 (two mono channels to get the swept mid eqs). Three bands of eq all have +15 available, sounds smooth and uncolored enough, swept mids not peaky, and nicely effective tonal range imho. Nothing like the color box of crayons 388 eq.

-Compressor: turning the one control knob for the compressor on a jangly rythym guitar track, noticed if you crank it on full there's about a second before it clamps down. full on the volume dropped by half with some treble roll off, but there is quite a range to work with before getting to that point.

FX-they don't print to subs, control room outs can be patched out though. They are not thick and gooey, but are decent.

-Phones have plenty of volume. Side by side dedicated knobs for monitor and headphone volume.

-mic pre: Beyerdynamic m700, just messing with the gain pegged and the compressor pegged (but not the channel fader) and all points between found a useful range of thickness to clarity, and very quiet too!
Last edited by shedshrine on Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:17 am

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I'm glad to see something like this exists.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:14 pm

I also love, Veruca Salt's American Thighs.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:25 pm

Photobucket acting squirrely, but there should be a pic above of a desk top stack-o-rack gear conveniently turned outward for easy rear access partially obviating the need for a non existant patch bay.
drumsound wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:17 am
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I'm glad to see something like this exists.
Thanks. I had gotten out of the habit of recording and creating and missing it terribly. Hoping this setup will get me back into the swing of things.
vvv wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:14 pm
I also love, Veruca Salt's American Thighs.
Somehow I am not surprised. There will always be something to be said for a fast machine and a motor that is clean. But besides that, yeah, great sounds, great harmonies, great writing.

_________
Back of rack: