UAD 3 Plugins Pack - Which would you choose?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wing
on a wing and a prayer

UAD 3 Plugins Pack - Which would you choose?

Post by wing » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:42 pm

Hey everyone,
I just got a new Universal Audio interface with 3 Plugins I could choose from. Just curious what you would get if you could only pick 3?

So far I'm thinking:

- SPL Transient Designer (heard this can do killer things on drums)
- Neve 1073 Pre & EQ collection
- Ocean Way Studios reverb collection

Your thoughts? Thanks!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: UAD 3 Plugins Pack - Which would you choose?

Post by kslight » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:41 am

Don’t you get a free trial on those? I would do that before committing to something...

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:55 am

i started out with things that i though I would use most often, so sort of in order of usage... The LA-2A collection is very nice on vocals, bass, guitars. I use the DBX-160 a lot too on drums/bass. EMT140 (I'll likely never have one of those in my studio). I get some mileage from the Galaxy Tape Echo and LA-3a (nice on guitars) as well. and the 1176 collection. Maag EQ4, that's nice for the "air" band. Fairchild collection, because once again I'll never spring for a real one... and now I can use 10 at a time if i want to. Pultecs are nice too, even if just set flat. And I got the Neve 31102 EQ because it was not the 1081 (had other plugins) but definitely has that Neve sound and I like the EQ options.... I would like to get the Distressor and Vari-Mu some day.

Mike
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:44 am

1176 collection
Neve 1081 (or the API EQ 550/560 collection. I just like the Neve a little better)
EMT140

I have a bunch. Those are the ones I'd choose to not live without.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:54 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:44 am
1176 collection
Neve 1081 (or the API EQ 550/560 collection. I just like the Neve a little better)
EMT140

I have a bunch. Those are the ones I'd choose to not live without.
+1 on these choices.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:37 am

the ocean way is cool, but i feel kind of a one trick pony and you don't always need/use it.

if you really want the transient designer, i would get it from plugin alliance - they have crazy sales all the time. i know the code is different, but it works just fine. also there are other options out there - brainworx nvelope for one! - that are more useful

the 1176 collection is awesome - all of them are very useful and can even be used as distortion boxes!

for neve flavor, the 1073 is awesome and also a good dirt box if ya need another. i have the 1081 and literally never use it - but to each their own. the 31102 is cool, but it's an older plug and those often have big sales and can be had for cheap

EMT 140 is great, but i find myself using the Soundtoys little plate equally often - and it's far simpler (and cheaper, no?)

i would say any of these would be super useful and i wouldn't wanna live without these, and i have a shit ton of plugs:

1176 collection
pultec collection
ampex atr

but going forward, watch for sales. buying things full price is always silly - just wait for sales and coupons. i got several for under $50, even a few for nothing.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:51 am

permanent hearing damage wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:37 am
the ocean way is cool, but i feel kind of a one trick pony and you don't always need/use it.
Agreed. I would say that 9 out of 10 times, I start a mix with it and end up removing it. I feel like I hear weird phase stuff happening when it's audible in the mix and when it's inaudible, what's the point? Since I picked up the Valhalla Room plug, I probably won't ever use it again. Beyond that, if you have the EMT140 and use a short decay, adjust the pre-delay, EQ, etc... you can basically get a "room" sound out of it.
the 1176 collection is awesome - all of them are very useful and can even be used as distortion boxes!
These are the shining star of the UAD collection, far as I'm concerned. So good. The Rev A is so sick. Always on snare, electric guitars, vocals. Rev E rules on everything else. I'd be fine with not having any other compressor plugins. I also have the 2500, fairchilds, la2as. I almost never use them. The grey la2a is cool when it's appropriate though.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:32 am

When I first got my Apollo I felt like the cost of the entire thing was worth it just to get the EMT250. I have always loved that reverb sound.

As others have mentioned the premium 1176 and LA2 versions are really great.

It's nice to have at least one of their channel strips also. The API one is very handy.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:20 am

Thanks everyone, this is super helpful!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:41 pm

btw, if this is your first encounter with UA, sign up and they send you coupons all the time. Then if you buy one, they always seem to send another coupon (usually for $25 off). so don't buy more than one at a time. :D
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Get the three most expensive ones in which you are remotely interested. They have sales all the time and send out coupons frequently, so you'll be able to find deals on the less expensive ones that you'll use frequently with relative ease. When I got my first system and got to choose three, I went with the 224x and the Ocean Way rooms and one other (I'm forgetting which one now) because they were expensive. I use the 224 more than the OWR, but when I do pull out the OWR, I'm glad I have it. I might not have bought it otherwise.

But the ones that I have that get the most use are the 140 reverb, MWS EQ, 1176 collection, LA2 collection, Precision de-esser, and Neve 1081. Close seconds are the Fairchild collection, Helios 69, API EQs, Neve 33609, and AMS reverb. All the Legacy versions of the plugins are totally great, by the way. I find the flexibility of the 1176 and LA2 collections to be WAY worth the extra money. But I still use the Legacy Fairchild and Pultec frequently, even though I have the upgraded versions, as well.

Hope this helps!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:23 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:41 pm
Then if you buy one, they always seem to send another coupon (usually for $25 off). so don't buy more than one at a time. :D
Also, this.

Two other things to know:
If they have a monthly sale code, sometimes you can use that code more than once. Not always, but sometimes.

Also, whenever you install a new plugin, your demo period for all your plugins resets, so even if you buy a few plugins back-to-back, you can wait to install them one at a time and play the "demo game" for a while.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:15 am

cgarges wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:20 pm

But the ones that I have that get the most use are the 140 reverb, MWS EQ, 1176 collection, LA2 collection, Precision de-esser, and Neve 1081. Close seconds are the Fairchild collection, Helios 69, API EQs, Neve 33609, and AMS reverb. All the Legacy versions of the plugins are totally great, by the way. I find the flexibility of the 1176 and LA2 collections to be WAY worth the extra money. But I still use the Legacy Fairchild and Pultec frequently, even though I have the upgraded versions, as well.

Hope this helps!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
The Legacy versions take up less processor space!
For when you are getting loaded.

drumdude21
audio school

Post by drumdude21 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:07 am

I have the 1073 bundle, the EMT 140, and the SSL 4000 comp collection. I think I may have a few guitar amp sims, but can't recall which. Not sure what to get next either... maybe the Shadow Hills. :mrgreen:

Aside from the UAD stuff, I've been a huge fan of the Soundtoys 5 bundle as of late.

https://drummingreview.com/soundtoys-review/
Last edited by drumdude21 on Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

weatherbox
re-cappin' neve

Post by weatherbox » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:10 am

1176 bundle, absolutely. Everyone should have a great Pultec plug too, and UAD was always my favorite. From there I think the field evens out with other plugin providers, and there's more room for personal preference. I never use Ocean Way in mic modelling mode, but love it in reverb mode, and for short room reverbs I think it's a cut above. Much as I love the EMT and Lexicon verbs, you can get pretty far in those styles with $50 low latency Valhalla VintageVerb.

It's not an everyday thing for me, but the K-stereo is as far as I know unique in it's transparency and effectiveness for situations where you'd need it. Precision Maximizer is my client impressing louderizer of choice. Ampeg emulations are solid (the guitar amps... No )

I have most of the EQs and aside from Pultec, I use my stock Protools EQ more.