UAD 3 Plugins Pack - Which would you choose?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Re: UAD 3 Plugins Pack - Which would you choose?

Post by frans_13 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:27 am

1176, of course. Then the Ocean Way (in reverb mode) does things convincing enough for me, but it's such a CPU hog (i got a dual processor card) i just render the track to stay free of trouble with some of the more hungry other plugins which gave me trouble, even if all of them were way under 90% load. Took some time to track that problem down. Back to the Ocean Way- i don't use it on every mix, but when it's the right reverb it IS the right reverb. You could fake a room mic with it, if you haven't a good sounding space.
Due to luck and circumstances i am offering a limited run of Beyerdynamic M380 clones with unused Beyer capsules. PM me for info.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:32 am

frans_13 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:27 am
1176, of course. Then the Ocean Way (in reverb mode) does things convincing enough for me, but it's such a CPU hog (i got a dual processor card) i just render the track to stay free of trouble with some of the more hungry other plugins which gave me trouble, even if all of them were way under 90% load. Took some time to track that problem down. Back to the Ocean Way- i don't use it on every mix, but when it's the right reverb it IS the right reverb. You could fake a room mic with it, if you haven't a good sounding space.
I have a rather small room for tracking drums. It's been treated but as a result there's not a lot of ambient quality to the room since it's so small. So my thinking at least with Ocean Way compared to other reverbs is how it really is focused on studio room spaces and modeling those characteristics, as if I had a big live room. :)

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:38 am

weatherbox wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:10 am
1176 bundle, absolutely. Everyone should have a great Pultec plug too, and UAD was always my favorite. From there I think the field evens out with other plugin providers, and there's more room for personal preference. I never use Ocean Way in mic modelling mode, but love it in reverb mode, and for short room reverbs I think it's a cut above. Much as I love the EMT and Lexicon verbs, you can get pretty far in those styles with $50 low latency Valhalla VintageVerb.

It's not an everyday thing for me, but the K-stereo is as far as I know unique in it's transparency and effectiveness for situations where you'd need it. Precision Maximizer is my client impressing louderizer of choice. Ampeg emulations are solid (the guitar amps... No )

I have most of the EQs and aside from Pultec, I use my stock Protools EQ more.
I gotta say I own Valhalla Room, VintageVerb, and Shimmer. I use all three (especially the first two) quite religiously. For $50 it's quite incredible how they sound. Also I picked up Soundtoys Little Plate years ago for free (they charge $50 for it now but still worth it). Super simple plate reverb, very few settings, but just exactly the thing I grab when I need some quick great sounding plate reverb and I don't want to hog my CPU. It practically lives on most of my vocal tracks nowadays. Sometimes I use my Waves Abbey Road Chamber plug which sounds great for getting more color/tonal reverb sounds, but I dunno, I'm usually lazy and just want fast good sounding reverb so Valhalla+LP usually do the trick for me. I may spend my 3 plugins in that case toward 1176 seems that seems to be a crowd favorite, as well as maybe the Pultec stuff and another thing I may need. Obviously don't feel like I am in dire "need" of any reverbs at the moment. ;)

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:23 pm

wing wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:38 am
weatherbox wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:10 am
1176 bundle, absolutely. Everyone should have a great Pultec plug too, and UAD was always my favorite. From there I think the field evens out with other plugin providers, and there's more room for personal preference. I never use Ocean Way in mic modelling mode, but love it in reverb mode, and for short room reverbs I think it's a cut above. Much as I love the EMT and Lexicon verbs, you can get pretty far in those styles with $50 low latency Valhalla VintageVerb.

It's not an everyday thing for me, but the K-stereo is as far as I know unique in it's transparency and effectiveness for situations where you'd need it. Precision Maximizer is my client impressing louderizer of choice. Ampeg emulations are solid (the guitar amps... No )

I have most of the EQs and aside from Pultec, I use my stock Protools EQ more.
I gotta say I own Valhalla Room, VintageVerb, and Shimmer. I use all three (especially the first two) quite religiously. For $50 it's quite incredible how they sound. Also I picked up Soundtoys Little Plate years ago for free (they charge $50 for it now but still worth it). Super simple plate reverb, very few settings, but just exactly the thing I grab when I need some quick great sounding plate reverb and I don't want to hog my CPU. It practically lives on most of my vocal tracks nowadays. Sometimes I use my Waves Abbey Road Chamber plug which sounds great for getting more color/tonal reverb sounds, but I dunno, I'm usually lazy and just want fast good sounding reverb so Valhalla+LP usually do the trick for me. I may spend my 3 plugins in that case toward 1176 seems that seems to be a crowd favorite, as well as maybe the Pultec stuff and another thing I may need. Obviously don't feel like I am in dire "need" of any reverbs at the moment. ;)
Yea, you're pretty good on verb I'd say. You should grab the EMT140 at some point, but with what you have, it's certainly not urgent. The Ocean Way can be cool for what you're contemplating in your previous post. I've used it to that effect a couple times. For some reason, I just can't consistently get into it, but that's me. I'm sort of impatient when it comes to tweaking, and that plug is certainly a tweaker.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com