Reverb for Drums (Analog Tascam 388)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

akpasta
alignin' 24-trk

Reverb for Drums (Analog Tascam 388)

Post by akpasta » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:29 am

Hey Folks,

I'm using a Tascam 388 with a very basic, cheap mic set up. Five mics: Shure 52a kick mic, SM57 on snare, two SM57's in the "Glyn Johns" pattern for the cymbals and toms (panned L/R); and finally, for the reverb mic, a MXL v67 Condenser placed high above the kit. Those 5 tracks get bounced to 2 stereo tracks when the take is done.

My room is DEAD, so I get a real clean, dry sound from the kick mic and the 57s. I don't NEED the fifth condenser mic for the actual mix, it's just a more simple way of printing effects to the 388.

I run the condenser through guitar effects pedals before hitting the board. Currently the best thing I have is a Boss RV-3, but it's a little too dark sounding. I tried a Holy Grail Nano, but it sounds like shit. Even on the Hall setting it sounds all springy and doesn't work for drums at all. I have vague memories of using an old style Holy Grail on drums long ago on a 388, but it's been a while... has anyone else used one?

I was hoping to get some good recommendations for reverb units for drums. Small and cheap is the preference and even better if it's a guitar pedal but I'm definitely open to learning another way. I know how to bounce effects using the send on the 388, but it's an extra step and takes a little mental gymnastics to figure out and get right, but the cool thing is you can do stereo effects, which the normal effects send/return does not actually allow.

Regardless of how the effect prints to tape, I need a good recommendation for what effect to use. I'm looking for a big 80s drum reverb sound, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F0pIhc_iXg.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Reverb for Drums (Analog Tascam 388)

Post by drumsound » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:43 am

I'm not sure what you consider cheap, but there's a Lexicon PCM60 on Reverb for $400. Those things are really great on drums.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:57 am

I still get some good mileage out of an Alesia wedge. Can be had for under $100 and I think the sounds rival a lot of good plugins. Nice plate and room sounds.
the new rules : there are no rules

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:29 am

I was going to suggest a wedge but jon beat me to it. It'll do mono in, stereo out if that helps your 388 set-up.
They're cheap and sound quite good.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:27 pm

one type of reverb doesn't do it all for me

besides a physical chamber - that always sounds acceptable - even makeshift efforts

The questions I'd ask myself are - one - what sound does this tune call for ?

and two - do I need to have it set up as I'm recording so it's instantaneous or can I do it post-tracking?

then go from there and see what's appropriate

oh and - do I even need a reverb? maybe I can use delay ?

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:00 pm

I haven't used these on live drums, only drum machines, but I've had good results with the Tech21 Boost RVB, TC Hall of Fame and the Boss RV-500. The RV-500 is in my opinion a phenomenal pedal and you can do simultaneous reverb and delay. You can even have two separate reverbs going. The Hall of Fame is stereo and good bang for the buck and the Boost RVB is mono, but has to me a pretty unique character. If you can stretch to the 250.00 that the RV-500 runs used I'd definitely go for that though.

akpasta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by akpasta » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:31 pm

Hey folks

I got an Alesis Wedge and I am running it through the effects send return of my 388. I’m getting lots of weird digital sounds hovering around above the effects especially when I adjust it down to a drier signal. Also When I totally dry out the signal or bypass it the dry tracks have a weird digital sound to them. When I unplug the wedge from the effects loop it goes away. Is that the way this thing is supposed to sound like?

I will mention if I replace the wedge withy stereo boss RV-3 pedal the weird symptoms are gone.

Do you have to use balanced 1/4” cables?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:52 pm

Sounds like a faulty unit. I never had any of those issues.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:03 am

akpasta wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:31 pm
Hey folks

I got an Alesis Wedge and I am running it through the effects send return of my 388. I’m getting lots of weird digital sounds hovering around above the effects especially when I adjust it down to a drier signal. Also When I totally dry out the signal or bypass it the dry tracks have a weird digital sound to them. When I unplug the wedge from the effects loop it goes away. Is that the way this thing is supposed to sound like?

I will mention if I replace the wedge withy stereo boss RV-3 pedal the weird symptoms are gone.

Do you have to use balanced 1/4” cables?

I would go with a bad Wedge, also. I guess its possible that if you have the Wedge sitting on top of your Tascam, perhaps its creating some kind of interference (like if you put your cell phone near gear).

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:23 am

Are you using in an Aux send and return type situation? If so Mix should be 100% wet.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:20 am

Try to get a Lexicon reverb unit. They never disappoint.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.