Patchbay setup question - grounding

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Patchbay setup question - grounding

Post by wing » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:54 am

I recently purchased a 96pt TT patchbay for my studio that has fully selectable modes for normalling and grounding. I fully understand how normalling works now and how to set that up per channel for my needs. However I'm lost on the grounding options on this thing: Isolated, Grounds Bussed, or Vertically Strapped?

Perhaps it would help if I explain my setup: I am recording up to 8 channels of XLR mic in my studio, via preamps, into an XLR patchbay which is routed to the 96 tt patchbay. From there I have those channels normalled to the inputs of my UA audio interface. Some mics are dynamic, others are condenser and will be using 48v phantom power, if that matters.

Many other channels on my patchbay are either half-normalled or non-normalled, depending on my setup, which may mean I take the output of one preamp into a different compressor, back into the audio interface in. Or I may send a bus from pro tools out of the audio interface and want to patch it into an outboard unit, and then patch that outboard unit back into the audio interface. So in cases such as these, with how my studio is setup, none of these scenarios would be normalled or "vertical."

I am not using an audio console, everything is being done inside the computer via the interface. The patchbay is in a wooden rack that sits next to my studio desk, made of wood, which is where the audio interface lives. (I mention the wood and materials since I have no idea whether or not that is relevant to electrical grounding as far as patchbay settings are concerned).

Based on this information, can anyone suggest which grounding scheme would be best for my situation? As well as enlighten me as to what the three schemes really mean? Thanks!