Monitor dilemma

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: Monitor dilemma

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat May 11, 2019 4:31 pm

ha nah - I have a lot of respect for good paint jobs though and I've done them on places I've lived

one of my grandfathers was a painting contractor actually

the handle here is a Talking Heads lyric from their song "Artists Only"

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sat May 11, 2019 4:33 pm

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Post by randrohe » Sun May 12, 2019 8:03 am

So, update.
I pulled the credit card out for the Kali LP-6.
Ordered through MF, added the gold coverage, which I rarely do, and that actually brought the price down to $283 for the pair, with 3 year extended warranty!
Thanks for the input, I wasn’t even aware of these speakers, so I’m glad I posted here and received some trusted advice as always.
Oh yeah I also ordered a Mackie MCU pro demo unit from Sweetwater.
Be prepared for another thread re: the MCU and Reaper.
Rainy weather and days off are hard on the finances..lol
Going to get my mixing on!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun May 12, 2019 9:29 am

z reviews is totally right on when he says the Kalis are designed by people on a passionate revenge mission to make them good - I've noticed a lot of folks don't stay up to date with the latest innovations in gear and just recommend the same old stuff from decade or two ago because that's what they know. It's not that older stuff won't work or can't be excellent -it does limit the scope of options and knowledge when recommending however.

To me it doesn't make sense to not go for the value for the buck in this day and age if you're not a commercial facility serving the big names. The amount of performance quality you get from spending more only goes up by razor thin margins in most cases.

I think you can feel confident that you'll have what you need to make excellent mixes - and if they're snot doing it for you it might be another factor like the way your room is set up, etc.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Fri May 24, 2019 4:17 pm

Always hated mixing on Ns-10's. Never translates, Unless it hurts your ears in the upper midrange ,and you cant hear low bass,or anything above 8 k,they are useless. I love my Tannoy pbm 6.5's. Those things REQUIRE you to mix with audible deep bass,and shiny-sheen on top. Yes the midrange is tucked back a bit,but if the Bass ain't right in the first place,you're scrambling after that. Put a 200 watt amp in front of them,and you'll be golden. Original Woofers are not available. I believe Orange County Speakers have a very close substitute. Go Canada!
I am the Walnut