Taking a specific vocal sound to live settings

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

nicholasdover
alignin' 24-trk

Taking a specific vocal sound to live settings

Post by nicholasdover » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:16 am

Hey guys - So I'm on the brink of taking the plunge and trying to take a project I've done on my own in the studio over the last year and a half, and make a live band out of it. Really exciting, but terrifying because I've never vocally fronted a band - done a million guitar & BV sideman gigs,2 million saxophone jazz gigs fronting things, but I'm nearly 40 and I've never stood at the front singing! But I'm up for it and will hate myself if I don't. My question is just about vocal sound - what is the best way of transferring a quite specific EQ profile, reverb and delay settings to a standard bar gig venue? I just know I'm not a good enough singer for my sound to translate in a "guy on a 58 telling the truth" way, I kind of need it to be as I want it, but don't want to have to piss off a sound guy by being fussy. Is it legit to take my own chain: my mic, delay pedal, reverb pedal, EQ pedal and just say "DI this, leave it to me, even if it sounds shit to you, it's just meant to be that way, don't worry"...? I just know my "big low cut, 1k bump, band pass saturated delay, spring reverb post delay" idea of fun is highly unlikely to come off unless I completely take care of it at my end, so just wonder the most effective way of getting that to happen? Any advice welcome.
Cheers
Nick

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Taking a specific vocal sound to live settings

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:56 am

that sounds reasonable to me. If you can simplify the setup (for yourself and sound person) so that it's a DI/line out, I don't see that as any different than any other instrument on the stage.
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

nicholasdover
alignin' 24-trk

Post by nicholasdover » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:45 pm

Eventide's Mixing Link seems to take care of that connectivity conundrum

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:39 pm

The one issue I could see would be what your setup does to the monitor feed at stage volume. It might be fine but it could also be howling feedback.
If it was me I'd try to have a wet and dry send to the front of house. If the fx cause issues in the monitor then they have the option to use the clean feed for the monitors and use your fx feed for the front of house

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:22 pm

The more simple you keep it the less likely you'll run into issues.

If you've already got your own fx and whatever, yeah something like the Mixing Link or Keymaster work well.

If you haven't bought anything yet, keep in mind that a lot of self contained modeling units have a mic input, preamp, multiple chains, will let you do wet/dry, go right into the board, etc...like the Line 6 floor models. $100-200 second hand and there's a real simple rig with a lot of flexibility.

Then of course may require some trial and error for feedback. Do wet and dry...or two mics....

Be nice to your sound people though and you should be ok. There is one gig I recorded where the singer showed up with like a harp mic and crazy amp and stuff...and it kind of worked, was real noisy and cut in and out...

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:03 pm

Pick up a mixing link or something similar,so FOH can have 1 dry,1 wet,and you will need 2 seperate monitor mixes,for each. If you have crazy mid boost stuff or distortion stuff in your desired thing,it can be pure hell (as a FOH guy) to give you what you want. Other option is a powered monitor on stage with you that get the effecty stuff (Thee Oh Sees) pointed at your face,and you can easily control the amount of fx on stage. I recommend this,based on gig times/changeover/courtesy to the other bands on the bill. The more you can have it dialed in before hand makes more time for you to play,and not be freaking over the monitor mix. Just my 2 cents. Have fun! My fave was vocal mic-split-echoplex-marshall+cab. It was behind me,so easy to balance with gtr amps.
I am the Walnut

nicholasdover
alignin' 24-trk

Post by nicholasdover » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:41 am

Thanks for all your advice, guys - this is really really helpful.