Audioscape Opto compressor?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Audioscape Opto compressor?

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:51 am

I've been working in a studio that has a real vintage LA2A and I'm really in love with the thing, but that's unobtainium-level cost for me, so I'm interested in the Audioscape iteration.

Seems like people really love this company. Anyone have experience with these guys?
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Audioscape Opto compressor?

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:09 am

haven't tried that one. I had the Warm Audio WA-2A for awhile and sold it. Then I picked up the Klark Teknik KT-2A (brand new they are <$400 and if you find refurb/used... I think I got mine for about $300 "open-box"). And it's Ok, but I'm lazy and I find myself going to the UAD (especially the "gray" model on vocals) most of the time. I used it on a couple sessions for vocals and bass guitar. And once again found i liked the UAD just as well if not better.

https://www.altomusic.com/klark-teknik- ... ntity=1611

I'll probably sell the KT-2A eventually... or not since it was only $300 (10% of a "real" LA-2A, which I've never owned and probably never will...).
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:35 am

I built a pair of Drip LA2A clones that I love. Bing that they're also PCB LA2As, I expecti it would be similar to the Audioscape. And while I've never used a vintage original, I once A/B'd the UAD LA2A against the clone and I couldn't tell the difference (this was admittedly a quick evaluation with a single vocal track, not an all-day super scientific shootout). For the price especially, the audioscape looks awesome.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:28 pm

The new TapeOp #133 (Oct-Nov 2019) has a favorable review of the Audio-Scape Opto comp.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:14 am

eh91311 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:28 pm
The new TapeOp #133 (Oct-Nov 2019) has a favorable review of the Audio-Scape Opto comp.
Oh, nice. I haven't gotten mine yet (LARRY!). Look forward to that. My buddy that I share a lot of gear with actually just got one, as well as the V comp, so looking forward to having a chance to test them out.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com