ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Onboard Guitar Pre-Amps/Boosters

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:03 pm

I figured as much as well. We'll see. I'l be happy if it's reasonably close

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:50 pm

Me, I'd think a boost pedal a better option as it's usable for other axes and any guitarist who is deserving of yer time to record probably understands and knows how to use such a pedal.

But then I hate any on-board powered electronics because, ultimately, the battery is gonna be a issue one way or t'other.*

*Especially when the battery issue is leaking, like when ya forgot the thing was in there for a cuppla months/years.**

**Only ever happened to me with pedals, altho' I did have a lead break onna guitar and the guitar didn't work until it was fixt what was a PITA.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:57 am

Just received and installed an Artec QTB on this thing. It's pretty great so far.
The boost is wired between the bridge pick-up and the switch. I eliminated the middle position on the switch (because the active and passive pick-ups don't combine very well and I never use that position on any guitar) and eliminated the tone knob (which I never use anyway). The boost is in the volume position and the volume is now in the tone position. The +14db setting seems to be a pretty good level to balance out the two pick-ups. +20 is nice for solos.
I was a bit stuck on what to do about the battery. In the end I decided to block the trem with wood and then I wired the battery into the trem spring cavity. I have never been a fan of strat style trems and blocking it was on my to do list anyway. The added bonus is that I don't have to take the pick guard off to change batteries. Win win.

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:13 pm

hell yeah, sounds like it all these mods are making for a unique instrument, definitely a bonus that you could get it sorted without having to route new cavities in the thing. Is the onboard boost sounding pretty comparable to what the micro amp was doing?
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

A.David.MacKinnon

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:07 pm

Yep. It just means I can switch pick-ups on the fly without having to hit the pedal.