Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Colorblind
takin' a dinner break

Re: How long does it take you to mix?

Post by Colorblind » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:38 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:11 am

Same, unless it's my own shit, then it's a year.
+1. On a typical rock mix, it's usually about 6 hours before I have something I'm fairly happy with. Then it gets sent to the artist for feedback, followed by an hour (or less, if I'm lucky) of tweaks.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:56 am

It's really all over the place for me. There are a lot of factors: How many instruments? Do I need to fix performance stuff? Did I record it? If not, are there any issues I need to address to get it in shape to mix? Is the song complicated with a lot of parts? Does the band expect the mix to be drastically different than what's on the multitrack? Etc.

For me (or more specifically, for my clients), budget is an issue. If I need to mix a ten-song bluegrass album and the band has one day budgeted to mix, I can PROBABLY do that, but I'd rather have at least two days. If it's a rock band with drums, multiple guitars, etc, I might be able to mix an EP in a day if everything is tracked well and organized. But generally, given some leeway, I might spend a day on the first song or maybe try to get two songs done on the first day.

The first one always takes the longest and that can set a precedent for the pace.

But really, a lot of it comes down to budget.

Chris Garages
Charlotte, NC

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:36 am

At the end of the day, tho', about 30 seconds to mix a martoonie. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.