vernier
pushin' record

Re: unhyped kick drum mic

Post by vernier » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:24 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:41 am
Snarl 12/8 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:07 pm
I think about 4-5 of my mics make mechanical bump/scratch noises when subjected to kick drum that they don't make in other positions. They sound like a mic does when it's bumped just from the low frequency SPL of the drum.
it's true. a bass drum needs a mic that can handle very high SPL, especially if you are putting the mic close to the source. And most condenser mics cannot truly handle those levels. Then if you do find a mic that works, you have to have the preamp that can take it without overloading, etc. as it sounds like you are finding/have found.
Yep, high SPL is why I like D12 on bass drum.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:57 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:14 am
Remember when there would always be a suggestion for an old CAD E100? That's what I still use, though I'm a live guy and pretty much only do jazz these days. Flat down to 10Hz, add your own damn scoop.

Weirdly enough the original E100 mics are now selling for real money again on eBay. In my own mic collection they have acquired "slightly finicky vintage" status.
I've got three of the older e100's and now that I'm thinking of it, maybe only two are currently working and one of those two is finicky as hell. But damn, great mics for both front of kick and bass amps.

as for the OP's question, re-20.

AndersonSoundRecording
ass engineer

Post by AndersonSoundRecording » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:10 pm

M88 and RE20 are my two for "unhyped"
I heard they inserted a Jimmy Hendrix into the chain somewhere before the preamp.

...Anybody know what that preamp was, 'cause I'd also love to get that sound.

- Mike Tate
https://www.facebook.com/AndersonSoundRecording
andersonsoundrecording.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:43 am

trodden wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:57 pm
Scodiddly wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:14 am
Remember when there would always be a suggestion for an old CAD E100? That's what I still use, though I'm a live guy and pretty much only do jazz these days. Flat down to 10Hz, add your own damn scoop.

Weirdly enough the original E100 mics are now selling for real money again on eBay. In my own mic collection they have acquired "slightly finicky vintage" status.
I've got three of the older e100's and now that I'm thinking of it, maybe only two are currently working and one of those two is finicky as hell. But damn, great mics for both front of kick and bass amps.

as for the OP's question, re-20.
I remember cornering J Robbins at a Burning Airlines show in the early 00's to pick his brain on tech stuff. He said those CADs were his secret weapon on kick drums. I still never bought one, affordable as they were. I wonder how the used market is.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:44 am

AndersonSoundRecording wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:10 pm
Ran out of stuff to mix, so I opened up an old session that I've always wanted to take another stab at and I apparently used an RE20 on the bass drum. It sounds awesome. The midrange on it is really nice. No basketball bullshit that I tend to scoop out. Solo'd it doesn't sound terribly remarkable, but in context it's great.

I've had good luck with M88 as well. I haven't liked it inside the drum, but I did a session where there was no resonant head and it sounded nice. I was shocked how much sub-bass stuff it pushed, but very cleanly.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:56 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:44 am
AndersonSoundRecording wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:10 pm
Ran out of stuff to mix, so I opened up an old session that I've always wanted to take another stab at and I apparently used an RE20 on the bass drum. It sounds awesome. The midrange on it is really nice. No basketball bullshit that I tend to scoop out. Solo'd it doesn't sound terribly remarkable, but in context it's great.

I've had good luck with M88 as well. I haven't liked it inside the drum, but I did a session where there was no resonant head and it sounded nice. I was shocked how much sub-bass stuff it pushed, but very cleanly.
A good reminder that CONTEXT IS EVERYTHING.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:49 pm

Yeah, and I think this is the thing about the unhyped kick mics. No one is ever getting super psyched about them when you're getting levels and listening to the kick alone. They pay off in the mix.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:35 pm

losthighway wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:49 pm
Yeah, and I think this is the thing about the unhyped kick mics. No one is ever getting super psyched about them when you're getting levels and listening to the kick alone. They pay off in the mix.
One of the top ten live sound mistakes is to worry too much about the kick drum by itself.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:24 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:35 pm
losthighway wrote:
One of the top ten live sound mistakes is to worry too much about the kick drum by itself.
True.

I think the method the you see of doing soundcheck by most FOH (and probably studio folks) is flawed. Hitting one drum at a time is not how a drummer plays. In the studio I just have them play as I dial in drum sounds. I ask for a groove with each tom to dial the levels and check phase, but still, they are playing, not just going 'doom doom doom' out of context.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:49 am

drumsound wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:24 am
Scodiddly wrote:
losthighway wrote:
True.

I think the method the you see of doing soundcheck by most FOH (and probably studio folks) is flawed. Hitting one drum at a time is not how a drummer plays. In the studio I just have them play as I dial in drum sounds. I ask for a groove with each tom to dial the levels and check phase, but still, they are playing, not just going 'doom doom doom' out of context.
This is a must! Always.
In my live sound days I did the same. Also had to remember that the band would be at least 25% louder on the first song then they were in soundcheck.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:27 pm

drumsound wrote:
Scodiddly wrote:
losthighway wrote:
True.

Yes, especially because they'll hit some drums way harder when a song starts and others way softer depending on the actual song and their general attitude while getting levels.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:17 pm

A.David.MacKinnon wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:49 am
drumsound wrote:
Scodiddly wrote:

True.

This is a must! Always.
In my live sound days I did the same. Also had to remember that the band would be at least 25% louder on the first song then they were in soundcheck.
AT LEAST 25%!

losthighway wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:27 pm
drumsound wrote:
Scodiddly wrote:

True.

Yes, especially because they'll hit some drums way harder when a song starts and others way softer depending on the actual song and their general attitude while getting levels.
Yep!

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu May 14, 2020 7:37 am

I just pulled the trigger on one of these to see what it's all about...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... iktek-pm11

looked like a pretty good price.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu May 14, 2020 11:11 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:37 am
I just pulled the trigger on one of these to see what it's all about...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... iktek-pm11

looked like a pretty good price.
I'll be interested to hear your observations.