losthighway
resurrected

Re: unhyped kick drum mic

Post by losthighway » Fri May 15, 2020 5:16 pm

drumsound wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:11 pm
digitaldrummer wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:37 am
I just pulled the trigger on one of these to see what it's all about...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... iktek-pm11

looked like a pretty good price.
I'll be interested to hear your observations.
Me too. The ad copy for these things makes it sound attractive to me.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue May 19, 2020 7:07 am

here's a quick and dirty comparison of the Telefunken M82, Audix D6, MikTek PM11 and Slate ML2 (with modeling plugin committed)

https://soundcloud.com/user-339351714/s ... gLLV2vLAQJ

Everything except the Slate samples were through an Avedis MA5 into an Apollo 16 into ProTools 2019.12. no processing at all. The only difference is that the D6 had much lower output so I turned the input up on the MA5 one click, which is+5dB. I also tried to use a similar placement as where I had the M82, but I did not mess around trying oo get the optimal placement for each mic. Quick, remember? The Slate ML-2 went through a Danfield Audio MX20vpr (my clean/neutral pre). I had the mic in "dynamic" mode and even then the preamp was almost off (did not use the Pad) and then I used clip gain in Pro Tools to knock it back 4dB so it was somewhat close to the other levels (which were also not matched in any way but are somewhat close - like I said quick and dirty...). Then I duplicated that track 3 times and applied different models (RE20, D112, D12). Finally, I moved the ML-2 out of the port so it was almost even with the head (because I heard a little weird fluttering in the other sample - although it's still here too - but different sound for sure!) - so that's the "eoh - or edge of hole - sample.

The M82 has been my go to for the past year. Before that I used the D6 for many years. I've owned a Beta 52a and didn't like it. Had a D112 years ago too. The Slate ML-2 surprised me the most. PM11 is interesting but I'm going to have to use it in a real session to see how it behaves. naked one-shot samples are really kind of useless, but enjoy anyway. 8)

I may have to do an "outside kick" comparison later...
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue May 19, 2020 11:16 am

I dig the PM11 here. The M82 seems pretty useful to. I still feel okay about selling my D6, those mids are so carved out there'd be no getting them back if you wanted them. Better to choose to do that eq'ing yourself if you want that much of a smiley curve.

I still like my Senn e602 as a fairly tuned mic. The pm11 might be handy as a more neutral choice. I'd be curious to hear an SM7 or a RE20 directly against it. The slate modeling made the RE20 sound like a little more 'oomph' in the bottom than the PM11.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue May 19, 2020 12:16 pm

the Slate plugin has a "proximity" slider that can make it more "near" or "far" from the source and that will increase or decrease that effect. I left it at default, which is in the middle.

I also just used the PM11 for a rock drum session. I pulled it out about an inch - so it's probably in the port about 1/2 to 1 inch now. It captures a little more "Boom" and I'm liking it for this track so far. gotta finish mixing it though. on a quick break now...
Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue May 19, 2020 1:18 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:16 pm
the Slate plugin has a "proximity" slider that can make it more "near" or "far" from the source and that will increase or decrease that effect. I left it at default, which is in the middle.

I also just used the PM11 for a rock drum session. I pulled it out about an inch - so it's probably in the port about 1/2 to 1 inch now. It captures a little more "Boom" and I'm liking it for this track so far. gotta finish mixing it though. on a quick break now...
The above samples are interesting. No other padding inside the drum, right?

Is there a chance you can make a 4 bar or so full drum mix of that song to hear the PM11 in context?

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue May 19, 2020 3:20 pm

forgot to mention there is a bath towel that is just touching both heads - but minimal damping.

and as it happens I had a track I was working on today so I used the PM11. Here's a couple bars of just drums from that tune (a rock tune)

https://soundcloud.com/user-339351714/p ... Bc68lcQXRU

it's a full mix with any processing I did (but no samples thank you...) and there are room mics, outside kick mic, etc. But overall I like the way it sounded. And as mentioned prior I repositioned the mic a bit from where the initial samples were.
Mike

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue May 19, 2020 9:31 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:20 pm
forgot to mention there is a bath towel that is just touching both heads - but minimal damping.

and as it happens I had a track I was working on today so I used the PM11. Here's a couple bars of just drums from that tune (a rock tune)

https://soundcloud.com/user-339351714/p ... Bc68lcQXRU

it's a full mix with any processing I did (but no samples thank you...) and there are room mics, outside kick mic, etc. But overall I like the way it sounded. And as mentioned prior I repositioned the mic a bit from where the initial samples were.
Sounds Great, thanks!

Also (and I say this with utmost respect to you and the reference I'm making, with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek) are you doing a cover of Love Shack?

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed May 20, 2020 5:57 am

drumsound wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:31 pm
are you doing a cover of Love Shack?
nope! :lol:
Mike