Zoom H6 preamps?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

logancircle
tinnitus

Zoom H6 preamps?

Post by logancircle » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:28 pm

Has anyone here ever recorded live drums and a band into the Zoom H6 using only its onboard preamps?

I've always liked (occasionally loved) the sound of my H4n and H6 built-in mics, and even hooking up other mics has never been an issue, but I've only used one shotgun during interviews. There is a bit of hiss. But on the [very discerning and often snippy!] field recording groups, the general consensus is that the H6 preamps are total shite, and don't expect much if you plug in a TLM103. Would you say the H6 pres are better than a Mackie Xenyx 802? Presonus Bluetube v2?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: Zoom H6 preamps?

Post by kslight » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:07 pm

I think when a field recordist says a preamp isn’t great they mean its not great in the context of having to work it to get those (insert ambient sound). With quiet sources they’ll want to turn it up which will bring the noise up, often a weak point for these preamps.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:43 pm

We use one in a rehearsal space we're temporarily renting until I can get the garage studio build-out started.

Kick, Snare, mono OH, and Guitar into the Zoom's pres and stereo keys/synths into the 1/8" mini input on the X/Y mic head. This is in a 10x11x9 room with enough treatment to make it dead and "good enough" so we're not working with the best of situations. That said, it does the job for documenting rehearsal and demo'ing ideas. I upload the tracks from the SD card into my laptop, then transfer those into the studio computer at home and do a quick rough mix on pro tools. Then I have the basic ideas there in the studio were I can write more parts. Once we get bass in the picture i'll just have to submix the snare/OH to free up an input for bass.

Way better than using a phone or boom box!

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:35 pm

trodden wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:43 pm
Way better than using a phone or boom box!
I used to record every band pre-production rehearsal for our band with one of those omni Behringer measurement mics hung from the ceiling in a sweet spot. We went on to record at Inner Ear among other places but some of those rehearsal recordings contain our best performances. 🤨
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson