Problem balancing level of multiple monitors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Problem balancing level of multiple monitors

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:50 pm

I have 2 sets of powered monitors and a passive selector switch (that I have verified is not part of the problem). My main set of monitors is Dynaudio BM6a mkii. These have a trim switch on the back for +4 , 0, and -10. My other set is the Equator D5. They have a variable pot where max volume is the -10dBV setting (and +4dBu is the lowest). I have tried another pair (instead of the D5's) and got similar results. Swapped A/B channels, cables, etc. So I know it follows the monitors and not anything in between.

When the D5's are as loud as they will go, the BM6a's are just about 1-2dB louder. I can compensate by turning up the output on my U-audio Apollo 16, but this a real PITA. It's easy to forget to change it back... and then difficult to get a real A/B comparison. I've tried the switches on the BM6a's but that's not right either. The outputs on the Apollo are set to +4dBu

so, anyone else have a similar issue? I suppose I could build some special cables to attenuate the one pair by 1-2dB. seems cheaper than buying an off the shelf attenuator.

Mike
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

floid
buyin' a studio

Re: Problem balancing level of multiple monitors

Post by floid » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 pm

Set the BM6a trim to "0" and then trim the D5 down to match? I'm sure there must be a reason why this wouldn't work/be a good idea....
Village Idiot.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:51 pm

floid wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 pm
Set the BM6a trim to "0" and then trim the D5 down to match?
yep, that's where I have it. But at "0", I have other monitors up to their max. The +4 setting is louder than the "0" setting. If I set the BM6a to -10dBV, then the volume is significantly lower, which is weird because I think its working the opposite of the Equators? But I could have that knob backward too - I didn't have them connected tonight because I'm trying a different monitor, but it is also at Max vs. the BM6a at "0". And the Apollo is set to +4dBu so it makes sense to try to match I think? Just not sure why the BM6a's are so "hot".
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:24 am

I have the same setup, a DIY monitor switch between two sets of powered speakers.

To calibrate your set, you'll have to figure out each one's loudness range on its own, with a
SPL meter and pink noise. Once you know their range individually, you can then decide
how to set each one's switches.

There should be some overlap between the two where they output the same level at your
monitoring position. That is where you make the measurement with the SPL meter, not
directly in front of the speaker, since the ROOM will affect this level.

Good luck!!!
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:23 am

Different speakers with different efficiencies being driven by different amps, I think it's to be expected that the same input level will deliver different output levels. If the BM6a has the least control, it probably should be the baseline around which the others are adjusted. If the -10 setting is the only one you can use to match levels with the others, and it results in unacceptably low max universal level, then yeah, perhaps a custom pad is needed.
Village Idiot.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:34 pm

I finally switched the Dynaudio's to -10dB and then matched the other set's volume. I have to move the volume/level higher on the Apollo 16, than I had before, but I've really only got it up to not even 50% most of the time so it was really just me getting used to where the volume knob sat (and it's digitally controlled anyway...). Now I'm used to it and it's much easier to switch back and forth.
Mike

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:53 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:34 pm
I finally switched the Dynaudio's to -10dB and then matched the other set's volume. I have to move the volume/level higher on the Apollo 16, than I had before, but I've really only got it up to not even 50% most of the time so it was really just me getting used to where the volume knob sat (and it's digitally controlled anyway...). Now I'm used to it and it's much easier to switch back and forth.
Good!!!
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.