Original API 500 series list?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Calaverasgrande
ass engineer

Original API 500 series list?

Post by Calaverasgrande » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:30 pm

Was looking at the CAPI site the last few days, and they mention a lot of 500 series modules on there beyond the 512, 550a/b etc.
I have done a few searches but cannot find a comprehensive list of API modules. such as the various EQ and preamp models that are not in production. Or which may have been a deviation from the current model. Such as some EQs and pres that CAPI offer which reference API models I have never heard of. Mic amp 528? EQ 553?
It looks like modulargrid has a list, though it's not exclusive API, and not comprehensive.
Just curious, anyone know where I could find a list of API module models? Partly just for trivia sake. But I'd also love to know if there are any old modules that have problems with current racks. Such as the original 560 EQ and pin 15.

ps. Looks like I need to make a modulargrid rack for my 500 series stuff.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Original API 500 series list?

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:08 am

a brief history here -- http://apiaudio.com/about.php

but not inclusive of everything you asked about...

a little more on the wiki site -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_Processes,_Inc.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:56 am

I have 2 of the 553 EQ's. I hadn't heard of them until I discovered CAPI. Very simple. 3 band inductor-based with high and low pass filters, that IIRC were an add-on that CAPI decided to do. It's a neat one. Very broad stroke. I love the top end on vocals especially and the mid band can be pretty sick on guitars. I don't know anything about the history though really, so this probably isn't helpful :lol: :roll:
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Calaverasgrande
ass engineer

Post by Calaverasgrande » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:02 am

Yeah I read that Wiki and the API history already. That is kind of what got me asking.
If for example you go to the doepfer site they list every module they have ever made, even ones that are prototypes or are out of production.
I guess I have some latent nonconformist tendencies. Buying a 500 series rack and and some SSL gear has me feeling like I have to find the oddball sleeper API stuff. But I suppose the CAPI EQs fit the bill there.
I'm also pretty interested in the API 565 filter module. As that is generally my approach most of the time with EQ, mostly cuts.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:47 pm

Calaverasgrande wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:02 am
Yeah I read that Wiki and the API history already. That is kind of what got me asking.
If for example you go to the doepfer site they list every module they have ever made, even ones that are prototypes or are out of production.
I guess I have some latent nonconformist tendencies. Buying a 500 series rack and and some SSL gear has me feeling like I have to find the oddball sleeper API stuff. But I suppose the CAPI EQs fit the bill there.
I'm also pretty interested in the API 565 filter module. As that is generally my approach most of the time with EQ, mostly cuts.
It seems to me that if you are looking for the real deal vintage and maybe obscure stuff, CAPI is the path to that. Far as API goes anyway.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Calaverasgrande
ass engineer

Post by Calaverasgrande » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:42 pm

Yeah I placed an order today. They are out of the BT50 so I got the 534 in the meantime.
Figure I like the EQ points and can always use some less sophisticated EQ. Also a fraction cheaper than the BT50, and not as complicated as their 'graphic' EQs.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:41 am

Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com