Sticking a Processor Inline With An Effect

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mark
tinnitus

Sticking a Processor Inline With An Effect

Post by Mark » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:59 am

I want to be able to high pass the signal going to a reverb during mix down. My reverb doesn't have that option globally, so I plan to put an equaliser with a HPF in the chain before the verb. This is all hardware, by the way... None of it's in the box.

What would be best practice and what should I look out for? Also, am I better off HPFing going in (Effects Send to EQ to Reverb to Effects Returns) or coming out (Effects Send to Reverb to EQ to Effects Returns)?
WWRHS?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Sticking a Processor Inline With An Effect

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:50 am

Either and/or both.
I often high and low pass the send to reverb and eq the return. Think of the send eq as eliminating things from the signal that you don't want to excite the reverb. The post eq is more about shaping the tone of the reverb itself.
Just watch your gain staging. Otherwise let your ears guide you.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:52 am

How would you deal with using a processor in an effects loop in front of an effect? I mean, I don't want to add low end cut I want to take low end out of the signal. It's basically so I don't have to bounce drums or waste a track, of which I only have 8, on the kick.
WWRHS?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:34 am

You just patch from your aux send into he EQ, apply what ever filtering you want, and take its out to the reverb. Shouldn't be a problem, unless there's a balanced and an un balanced piece.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:41 am

Where's the Like/Upvote button?
WWRHS?

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:44 pm

I've found the popular practice of both high and low passing a reverb to be pretty helpful, especially for vocals. Unless you're going to be keeping the reverb up pretty hot, or unless there's something peculiar in what you're sending (say something hissy/spitty from an overdriven or reamped vocal) the subtle differences of eq'ing the send or eq'ing the return aren't terribly important. Those steps are kind of the Bob Ross big blending brush to me, if you like metaphors.