Favorite Hardware Reverb Unit

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: Favorite Hardware Reverb Unit

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:06 pm

A hell of a lot of reverbs were sold to the live sound world, which these days is nearly 100% "plugin" processing. Either bundled with the digital console, or literally a Waves plugin on a nearby computer.

Calaverasgrande
ass engineer

Re: Favorite Hardware Reverb Unit

Post by Calaverasgrande » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:45 am

Lately I've been getting more into my Roland SRV3030. It's not the popular model, but I got a great deal on it. Honestly I liked the look of it and bought it on impulse.
It's kind of ugly on a lot of the presets. And it has taken me a few months of fiddling with it to start to understand how to edit properly. It is very unintuitive. Distance means predelay, but also seems to affect diffusion? Then there is room and wall, guessing reverb and early reflections. Liveness seems to also affect diffusion and brightness. There is a high cut corner frequency. But there is also an EQ in a different submenu.
Where it really gets fun is the ability to run the two reverb processors in series or parallel. Dual mono or stereo ganged.
Then there is the ability to apply a Roland SRS 3D effect (kinda cheesy). And also a global effect like chorus.
It obviously takes a lot of work to get anything out of this. But I have succeeded in a few pretty convincing big rooms. Kinda too forward sounding on their own, but who listens to a reverb on it's own? SO far it's working as a global verb, or just for drums.
They sit in a mix pretty good. Not found your typical lush warm vocal reverb in there yet, but then that is what I am using my Eventide H9 for. The levels are wrong, it takes a lot of gain on the return to get it lined up with my DAW stems. But it sounds fricking excellent on voice, guitars and synths.
I'm only using the DAW for UAD modeled Lexicon reverbs now, because come on, Lexicon on snare is like good cheese on a nice crisp cracker.