Coronavirus Plans (what are yours?)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Coronavirus Plans (what are yours?)

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:51 pm

I bet I saw the Scorchers 10-15 times; they played a regular happy hour gig at George Faber's Mabel's when I was in college and my girl waitressed there. (Remember, "Absolutely Sweet Marie" and "Broken Whiskey Glass"; I even have the 7".) Saw 'em a few other places over the years.

Warner's a force of nature. I used to call him country's Eddie Van Halen, but better.

(Eddie Shaver was that good, also.)

I need those EP's! (Chrome browser is currently blocking access as, "insecure"?)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:13 pm

The Reckless Country Soul 7" is a gem--apparently recorded in a hotel room if I remember the story right. I last saw the Scorchers about 3 years ago here in the ATL--Warner's just gotten better with age. He's a really remarkable guitarist.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:46 pm

+1

I'm told Mauro from GA Satellites lives in WI, or at least has investments in some business there. He tours Europe pretty regularly with Dan Baird, and Hodges sometimes goes with them. There's a few recordings out, at least 1 DVD (expensive last I looked) ...

Sorry for the OT.

Besides haunting here and emptywheel and a few other sites, I've actually been recording. Released the 10 songer last week on my bandcamp, and of the pending 5 bass/drums/vox I did 5 guitar tracks on one of them yesterday and a 90% mixdown. I'll mention I put a nicer speaker in the little Electar tube amp I have and have been running pedals into it, mic'd through a Blue Black Ball (which doesn't hear the furnace kick on) and an ISA1, it's sounding really good and doesn't annoy my 22-ish daughter too much. So the Boogie and Marshall and Fenders and others just sit ...

Politics junkie here, and I must confess that trying to catch the relevant state news conferences (Pritzker here is 2:30 daily) and the mostly less relevant but fun-to-shout-at-the TV/Uchoob federal news conferences makes it hard to get the ball rolling recording while also cooking (another C19 distraction) and drinking.

OK, not drinking (much), which also takes effort. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:49 am

I've started a weekly, online, songwriting challenge game with some friends.

You pick out a model, or challenge song. Assign it to someone. They study it and write a response using something they got from it (lyrical perspective, chord change, overall structure etc). Within a week they have to come back with a demo of their reaction song. I ended up writing a counter-argument to Billy Joel's "Still Rock and Roll to Me" in waltz time with programmed drums built of found percussion sounds I made.

It's been super fun.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:04 am

record rhythm tracks and bounced down to a single track on a 4 track, then sent the cassette to my friend to lay down whatever he wants. tape swapping, long may it continue, its been fun and creatively engaging.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:57 am

Major delurking by physically relurking!

So glad the board is still going... during the lockdown I've been revisiting what made me happy, and this board was one of those places. Sappy, but true!

So I took a meandering path over the last several years musically. Played in a band for a year or so, bandmate spun off and recorded 5 EPs of his material (lifelong dream) in another band, with another board member recording his work (Neil Weir!). Through a chance encounter at a local book reading (biography of John Fahey), I met a bunch of American Primitive guitarists (all younger than me!) and reupped my acoustic guitar fingerstyle playing. Also continued live soundtrack work, culminating with doing a live soundtrack to All Quiet On the Western Front for the centennial of Armistice Day (11/11/2018). Finally scraped my basement to the foundation and put in drain tile and a sump pump, took out a wall and a low drywall ceiling, resurfaced the floor so that I'm not trying to record in a 12'x28' tunnel. Dry, clean, acoustically a lot better. Since I've been more focused on doing live performances, I hadn't really recorded anything for a while.

Which brings me to the lockdown. I've been accumulating a few pieces of gear, and I would like to record a solo guitar album, even if just to get local gigs if and when we get to do it again (which is almost mandatory in the Twin Cities). Feels good to get things set up and recording takes again. For the here and now, the day job is still there (remotely) and I think I can make a go of it this year. Hard to think ahead, and seeing what music clubs and restaurants survive this economic asteroid hit.

Stay healthy and safe my friends, and glad to see you all again!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:22 am

kayagum wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:57 am
American Primitive guitarists
I'm not really sure, but I think this is what my friend Rob Noyes does. Regardless of what you call it, he's a remarkable guitar player:

https://robnoyes.bandcamp.com/

antbar
ass engineer

Post by antbar » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:45 pm

One thing I've been doing is spending more time in recording forums, hence my (apparent!) return here!

I'm fortunate that a band I'm in is comprised of keen fellows all set up for home recordings under circumstances like ours now. So, I'm getting instrumental tracks sent to me from Paris while I'm on my girlfriend's family farm in California. I'm doing vocals - including writing lyrics and tunes - for the incoming songs, and getting paid per song. It's not at all how we'd planned to work on the second album - there was supposed to be a full band studio session last week, but obviously etc. Still, I think the situation is giving an interesting vibe to the songs.

Meanwhile, I've put together an album's worth of odds and ends for eventual Bandcamp release, in hopes of making a bit of extra cash. These songs were meant for various homes - some for a synth pop collection, others were demos for the French band and the rest were for a weirdo project with some friends.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:13 am

Yeah, I've been doing the internet thing for a while. I currently have a voc/bass/drums track to a guy in London for everything else, and two such tracks to a guy in FLA for the first time.

The London guy is a prog/80's new wave multi-instrumentalist with a pretty good formal musical education - he's the second half of the scumble stuff linked below at my bandcamp.

The FLA guy fronts a very successful Soundgarden tribute act - he's the Cornell, so we'll see. "I-I-I-I-I-I-I, know what to do-o-o, I'm gonna ..." :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

antbar
ass engineer

Post by antbar » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:53 am

Working remotely/from home (Wait, which one is which? Where AM I, man...?) isn't new to me but the particular situation with the French band is now being defined by the self-isolation vibe. For our first record, all my vocals were done in slick studios, though I'd usually work out parts at home to send out first. This time around, with zero way for the band to get together, everyone is sending songs back and forth. I work fast enough that the band leader has stopped giving me suggestions/input!! He seems to like my way with the songs and has given in to faith. There will have to be a proper studio session somewhere down the line for drums at least. I've certainly made records where the drums were added late in the game.
"Putting the pop in unpopular since 1967"

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:02 pm

I'm currently re-using pre-recorded (by me or downloads) drums, and/or loops I make from same.

For these guys, I then wrote and played bass and massaged the drum arrangements, then did lyrics/vox.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

antbar
ass engineer

Post by antbar » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:28 pm

I should back up and say that some of the tracks I'm adding vocals to were indeed studio tracked. The most recent material has the band leader doing everything himself, including rocking out on his Roland kit in his Paris flat. Either way, there's plenty of vibe going around.

My fantasy, when I'm all caught up on writing/singing for the French band, is to start an album with my new, precious Drumtraks. Been listening every night to loads of early/mid-80s synthish stuff. Falco,Freuer, John Foxx - lots of Linn going down. I've got a Prophet 5 and can see no reason why I can't emerge from lockdown as the King of 1983!
"Putting the pop in unpopular since 1967"

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:56 pm

:lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:07 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:22 am
kayagum wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:57 am
American Primitive guitarists
I'm not really sure, but I think this is what my friend Rob Noyes does. Regardless of what you call it, he's a remarkable guitar player:

https://robnoyes.bandcamp.com/
I have met Rob multiple times, and he is a truly remarkable player (and yes very much in the American Primitive camp). Hope he is well in Japan and will miss his occasional visits to MN, and somehow not surprised you’re friends with him :D

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:43 am

recorded bass/drum machine/keys and bounced down to track 4, mailed the cassette to my buddy who's gonna fill up the rest of the tracks and then lay something down for me to do.