Fanless Pure Power Amp Recommendations?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Fanless Pure Power Amp Recommendations?

Post by alexdingley » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:59 am

Hi all!

I'm trying to do my best (in the home studio) to have a "big far-field" set of speakers that can really rock (probably even going to pair them with a sub that I own).. So basically, I've got plans to use my Hi-Fi towers (Older Paradigm brand Towers from the 90's) and they're in need of anywhere from 100-180watts of power.

I had just bought (on eBay) a Hafler PRO2400 amp (no fans / XLR ins / no volume control — just a straight power amp), but the seller did a horrible job packing it, and it arrive very damaged, and un-testable (Binding Posts sheered off + some electronic component dislodged and knocking around inside). So, I'm bummed, and looking for another on eBay... but also open to suggestions. Are there any REALLY great pure-power (as in; no volume controls / additional circuits in the signal path) power amps that you all recommend... especially those with NO fans in them. Don't want something quietly (or not so quietly) humming along in my single-room studio.

Ideal parameters:
120-180 watts/ch @ 8ohms
XLR or TRS inputs
NO FAN
200-600 USD used price-range

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Re: Fanless Pure Power Amp Recommendations?

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:50 pm

How fussy are you about topology? Modern digital amps OK or are you set on having some heavy old beast?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:21 pm

For $200-600 I bet you could get it fixed.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:57 am

In fairness, I don’t think I know enough about amp topologies to be as fussy as I wanna be.

I’ll do a little homework and figure out if a Class D (is that what you mean by “Digital amps”?) amp wigs me out, or if I’d be cool with that.

My tax return was nicer than expected, so I might look into a used Bryston.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:20 am

There are a lot of choices these days, and with digital there's a lot less need for fans. Plus you can find some pretty bare-bones units in the install world.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:35 am

I have the Hypex Ncore amps (class D) here, can't say enough good things about them, they're incredible. Impossibly fast and accurate. Quite affordable considering how good they are, but maybe too spendy for a living room setup. My previous amp was a Rotel RB1080 and that was no slouch either, served me well for years, you could probably find one of those used for reasonable money.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:19 pm

All good input! I got really lucky today, and found another Hafler PRO2400 for a decent price on Ebay. Was about to pull the trigger on a used Bryston 3B (don't need the power of the larger amps), but I think I'm all set with the new amp!

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:05 am

Stewart PA-100 or Stewart PA-200 are small half rack no fan power amps. i use them live and they are VERY robust and dependable. Used you're looking 75-200 bucks, very cheap. They meet your requirements for power, no fan, TRS input, they are Class AB with a switching power supply so no class D. They are cheap.

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Post by alexdingley » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:47 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:05 am
Stewart PA-100 or Stewart PA-200 are small half rack no fan power amps.
Wow! I hadn't thought about those! I'll keep them in mind for other projects, in the near future!

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:37 am

alexdingley wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:47 am
markjazzbassist wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:05 am
Stewart PA-100 or Stewart PA-200 are small half rack no fan power amps.
Wow! I hadn't thought about those! I'll keep them in mind for other projects, in the near future!
stewart makes great stuff, i use my PA-100 for bass stuff, and used to have a PA-200. I also wanted a no knobs/settings just volume no frills power amp and the stewart is what i found on a pedal steel forum. Apparently a lot of Steel players love them,i've gigged my for years and never had and issue. even if i did, i could buy a new one for 75 bucks and be up and running. the PA-200 is the more premium model with 1/4" in/out, actual knobs for volume (instead of tiny recessed mini screwdriver pots).

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:40 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:35 am
I have the Hypex Ncore amps (class D) here, can't say enough good things about them, they're incredible.
This sounds very interesting! What model/config do you have? Did you buy direct? Mind sharing how much your rig cost? I've got some nice woofers and horns, sounds like these might make for a good biamped setup.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:40 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:35 am
I have the Hypex Ncore amps (class D) here, can't say enough good things about them, they're incredible.
This sounds very interesting! What model/config do you have? Did you buy direct? Mind sharing how much your rig cost? I've got some nice woofers and horns, sounds like these might make for a good biamped setup.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:17 am

I have a pair of these:

https://www.diyclassd.com/product/nc400 ... ete-kit/24

They're easy to put together, you don't have to solder anything, just follow the instructions.

Ordered direct, it was like $1600 a couple years ago, they're cheaper now.