Troubleshoot intermittant signal loss on one side of stereo buss A&H GL2400

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Troubleshoot intermittant signal loss on one side of stereo buss A&H GL2400

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:47 pm

Hi Folks,

So, I got a new Allen and Heath GL2400 and I love so much about it, but it's giving me an issue. Every once in a while the right master channel seems to drop about 12 or so db and stay there. Then it'll come back up on its own sometimes. Sometimes there's little pops of distortion. It's intermittant, and I record myself, so it's being hard to track down.

I'm wondering if people think there's a strong chance the right master fader is bad. Obviously, I don't want to open it up and swap stuff out if I'm just chasing ghosts, but isn't that the most likely culprit? Is there a way to pass signal, essentially just through those faders to see if it's them? The one thing that makes me doubt it's the fader is that when I exercise the fader it does absolutely nothing to the problem. Can the fader be fucked up in a way that isn't affected by moving it? What else could it be besides the fader? Would a sample help?

Thanks,

ck
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Troubleshoot intermittant signal loss on one side of stereo buss A&H GL2400

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:16 pm

I don't know that mixer, but generally speaking, can you use direct or auxiliary or even buss outs - any outs - before the master faders? If it has insert points, you might could use those.

(EDIT: a quick look at the routing PDF on Sweetwater and I think at least 2 of the first 3 I list are available.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:00 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:47 pm
Hi Folks,

So, I got a new Allen and Heath GL2400 and I love so much about it, but it's giving me an issue. Every once in a while the right master channel seems to drop about 12 or so db and stay there. Then it'll come back up on its own sometimes. Sometimes there's little pops of distortion. It's intermittant, and I record myself, so it's being hard to track down.

I'm wondering if people think there's a strong chance the right master fader is bad. Obviously, I don't want to open it up and swap stuff out if I'm just chasing ghosts, but isn't that the most likely culprit? Is there a way to pass signal, essentially just through those faders to see if it's them? The one thing that makes me doubt it's the fader is that when I exercise the fader it does absolutely nothing to the problem. Can the fader be fucked up in a way that isn't affected by moving it? What else could it be besides the fader? Would a sample help?

Thanks,

ck
Sounds like a bad capacitor in the Right Master. I have all the schematics if you need them.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:03 pm

Is it new, or just new to you? Those mixers do tend to develop oxidation on the ribbon cable connectors over time. If you can chase the problem away by pushing a really hot signal then that's probably the issue.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:38 pm

Also doublecheck the master inserts. The switch mechanism in them can get dirty or oxidize, similar to the ribbon cables. Just plug a 1/4 cable from the send to the return.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."