NAC (National Audio Company) no longer making cassette tape (still doing Duplication though)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: NAC (National Audio Company) no longer making cassette tape (still doing Duplication though)

Post by kslight » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:51 am

Any one of y’all have any thoughts on Yamaha MT8X? I realize it’s 4 ins at a time, but that’s not really a deal breaker for me.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re: NAC (National Audio Company) no longer making cassette tape (still doing Duplication though)

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:07 pm

kslight wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:51 am
Any one of y’all have any thoughts on Yamaha MT8X? I realize it’s 4 ins at a time, but that’s not really a deal breaker for me.
2 issues for me, why i didn't get one. cause i wanted to, they are cheap and under the radar and have some nice features

- it is only compatible with other Yamaha MT8X or MT8XII models. the headstack is different than tascam 8 tracks and won't work (they are staggered differently)
- the frequency response is awful on the low end, 50Hz -3db, the tascams are 40Hz (which is a Low E string on a bass) and the 238 is 30Hz. but i'm a bassist, maybe you like more midrange type bass sounds

other than that, if you're able to get a nice one and a solid backup/spare for parts/backup i say go for it. I know Tascam was king, but i love the fringe recorders. i myself use a Marantz PMD740 4 track, and have owned a Vestax MR66, both are great and cheap since they don't have Tascam printed on them.